Monday, September 21, 2009

Waiting On the World to Change

Not a great picture, but this is what I'm doing right now...enjoying the seasonal favorite Pumpkin Spice Latte at the Starbucks down the road and working on a mailing list for birth announcements. I'm about to go crazy just sitting at home and have cleaned everything I can think of at least twice (ok, maybe not quite...but that whole "nesting" thing has certainly been in overdrive). At Dan's suggestion, I packed up the laptop and headed down the road - and this is so much better! I like when he makes suggestions like this :-)

I wish I had more to update, but we're still just waiting. Yesterday I thought I was actally making some real progress as I had contractions all day that were fairly consistent at about 15-20 minutes apart. Then last night, they seemed to pick up for awhile and were exactly 10 minutes apart for over an hour from about 12:00-1:00am. Then I dosed off and they tapered off, and I was able to sleep through the night. Maybe she needs me to be conscious for this part or something? Who knows. Dan was a little disappointed to have to go to work this morning, but at least he'll get to see Payton Manning play tonight...that's really what I've been holding out for ;-)

I feel like my emotions have been all over the place these past few days with all of this. I fluctuate from excited to terrified to frustrated and everything in between. But in all of it, I KNOW God is with me and I'm praying for lots of peace & patience to get us through these next few days. I'm so ready to finally hold my baby girl, to see her sweet little face and fingers & toes (instead of just feeling them), and I can't wait for Dan to finally get to meet his daughter. And I can't wait to share her with all of you, my family & friends!

This morning I read a passage in Matthew where Jesus talks about his second coming. He tells us to always be ready and waiting, making sure all of the necessary preparations are in place. It made me think about this time of waiting in our lives - these last days & weeks, but also the last 9 months as we have prepared for our daughter. We've worked hard to make sure everything is in place and ready for her arrival, sparing nothing.

I had to ask myself if I do the same to ready myself for the arrival of my King, and if I'm honest with myself I know the answer is no. It somehow doesn't feel as urgent - I tell myself I have plenty of time to talk to that neighbor or spend more time in the Word. But this morning God gently reminded me that we should take just as many pains (and really more) to make sure that we're ready at any moment for our Savior to return and carry us home. Just as I haven't wanted to be caught off guard at the first pains of labor and our daughter's arrival, so should I remain vigilant as I wait for Christ. What a sweet day that will be when he comes to take us home forever!

Just some random thoughts for the day. Thanks for listening :) Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my latte.

7 comments:

jenny said...

Oh Kali,
I love your heart. Such a good reminder to be ready for Christ's return!

I totally remember feeling those same feelings - scared and anxious, etc. But the great thing was, was that once labor was in full swing, I remember thinking, "I'm not REALLY doing any of this!" ... meaning, my body was just doing what it was supposed to do, whether I liked it or not; whether I was ready or not; whether I knew what I was doing or didn't. God miraculously designed our bodies to just do what they need to get done. And I love that.
Can't wait to meet your little sweetie either!

P.S. - maybe she'll be born on the first day of Fall (tomorrow, the 22nd) and you can name her Autumn!

John and Sarah Clore said...

I'm sure she's loving some espresso!! That just might get some labor going! I think I'm having sympathy back labor pains---for real, my lower back has been cramping like it did before Harvey was born. Made me think about you today :)

Lauri said...

One of the bummers of East Coast living - Monday Night Football starts way too late to stay up and watch the end of the game! Go Miami!

Liv said...

I am astounded that you have been living through days of contractions- do they feel like you want to die with every breadth? thats what mine felt like. Im just wondering how your not just asking the doctor to getthe child out.
i say this to say that I am amazed by your patience as of yet! I am so excited for the arrival of your child! CCant wait to see your child.

I think what God is showing you about himself is so encouraging to hear! It truely is exciting when we live in light of temporaryness of this life.
children teach you a lot about Gods plan for us.
I love you guys so much! I cant wait to see photos of your beautiful child!!!
Liv

Mama Mote said...

Oh, boy, oh, boy, oh, boy...I know, you're having a girl. But oh, boy, the time is near. Thanks for your random thoughts. Still figuring out why we are in LA, but trying to make the best of it and stepping out a little more. Can't wait to see your little girl. love and hugs to you both

Kyle Bridgman said...

Praying for you in Maysville, Kali and Dan. Thanks for the spiritual insight in this post. God is with you in every breath. Even short, quick breaths between contractions. :)
Love you guys.

tiffanyann109 said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. So appreciate it. Love you lots and I'm praying for you! Can't wait to hear news!