Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Expiration Date

Yep, today is my official due date - September 23. The date we've been working towards since we found out about this little peanut way back in January. And still no baby, which I'm trying not to be too disappointed about. As Stacy pointed out in her comment on my last post, I'm not exactly known for being on-time (note of interest: I was actually born on my due date...which was probably the last time I was on-time!). And I've known all along that most 1st babies come late, so I'm not entirely surprised. I just thought all of the "activity" this weekend might have sped things up.

I did go to the Doctor this morning and wanted to give you all the update (I'm just warning you - don't get too excited). Since I am officially 40 weeks now, they hooked me up to a monitor to check the baby's heart rate & movements. The first 15 minutes she squirmed all over the place, even moving the monitors that were strapped across my belly at one point. But when the nurse came in to check on me, she realized she hadn't turned the printer on, so I had to go for another 20 minutes. Apparently she went to sleep during that time, so I had to drink some Sprite & get prodded a few times to try and wake her up - and was monitored for another 15-20 minutes. Thankfully my Doctor could see enough movements on the printout by that point, so the nurse finally unhooked me and I went on to the regular check-up.

She measured me & checked my cervix - still at a 1.5 :( I was really hoping all of these contractions would have moved something along, but no such luck. My measurements seemed a bit different which my Doctor attributed to her having dropped more, but she decided to check my fluids with an ultrasound just to be sure. Everything looked good and I go the okay to keep waiting.

At this point, I'm still scheduled for the induction to begin Sunday at 7:00pm. My Dr. told me I'm not allowed to eat anything after 11am that day...and that the goal will be for me to deliver sometime before midnight on Monday. Seriously?! Even if that is the goal, I think she could have just left it at "sometime Monday" and we both would have been fine. Geesh.

Anyway, this is getting long. Sorry for so many details when there really weren't any updates! Thanks for all of your words of encouragement lately - they mean so very much to me. Who knew that blogging would be such a blessing for me? We feel your prayers and ask that you would continue to pray these next days as we wait. I'm still praying that I will go into labor naturally. Either way, Baby J will be joining us very soon!

9 comments:

Katie said...

My OB nursing instructor says that you should pack snacks and hide them from the doctor and nurses when you go to the hospital. She says that it's insane to make a woman work as hard as she does in labor without anything to eat for hours and hours on end. Just a thought...

kelseylynae said...

WHAT?! WHy in the world can't you eat? I've never heard about this part of the delivery... this is the first time I've ever been concerned about delivery in my LIFE!

Also, I think my students think I'm lying now.

Micah Hilton said...

ha Kels! PS Carroll girls I ate a butter and cheese sandwich in honor of you guys tonight..

come on Baby J!!!!!!

Megan said...

Yeah Kelsey...last thing I ate before I had Abby was a Krispy Kreme donut 23 hours prior to her birth!!! I was STARVING!!! They had a ham sandwich on standby as soon as she come out, it was mine! It is very hard to focus when you are hungry :(

Liv said...

so excited for you!!! Can't wait to hear about the baby! I am so excited, Tommy was nervous because he hadn't heard anything. I think he is going to call soon so if you two see at 801-775 ??? number please pick up its Tommy.
Tell dan.
love you guys- you will be amazing parents
Liv

Anonymous said...

When I delivered Tobi they gave me an enema, got me all hooked up to the machines and then brought me a tray of food to eat. Go figure!

Shelby said...

Praying for you girl! Mitch and I can hardly wait and we are half way across the country! Can't wait to meet the little peanut!

BChambers said...

SO EXCITING! Are you getting drugs? or going all natural?:) AT least you know when you are going to induce..so your mom can be there right?! Well we will be praying for you, I cant wait!!! Cant wait for you to join this amazing/crazy thing called motherhood!

Remember to focus/relax and just let the pain come....if you tense up, even your hands or pulling your shoulders up it just prolongs her dropping and moving into position....ps its the hardest thing you will ever do:)but oh my goodness it is soooooo worth it!
I know you will do GREAT!
Also take all the pads and tucks you can from the hospital:)! you paid for it. Ok good luck mama!!!!
Love
Beth

BChambers said...

Oh also I ate at 6 and they induced me at 10 so?? Eli's mom bought subway and brought snacks...so?? that is crazy, especially since I didnt sleep at all from 8am when my water broke to 11am the next day....