Monday, September 14, 2009

A new fear

Not a lot to update today. Dan & I had a good, if slightly busy weekend. Saturday we had a community group leader's training meeting at church in the morning, then I went to a shower for a friend in the afternoon, and we finished off the day with church (we have the option of a Saturday night service at our church, so we decided to check it out. Kinda weird to not going on Sunday, but it's a nice option anyway). Sunday morning we went for a walk at one of our favorite parks called Radnor Lake. It has beautiful hiking trails that loop around a lake (duh), and I was quite proud to make it all the way around the 2 mile loop! Then our dear friends from our community group threw us a shower last night which was wonderful - we've been so blessed by so many people giving us showers & gifts to get ready for this baby. Thank you guys - you've been more than generous, and I think she's all set!

So, the last few days a new fear has settled into the back of my mind, taunting me wherever I go. Now, before I confess this, I realize it's something completely out of my control and that it really doesn't happen all that often and that when it does happen, it's not like it is "in the movies". But still...it haunts me. Here it is:

What if my water breaks in public?!?

Or in any other inconvenient location for that matter (like my nice couch where I spend a good deal of time these days...)?

Will it stink? Will it stain? Will a crowd gather to watch me slink away as I go get the manager for a clean-up on aisle 12? What if it ruins my mattress?

I'm considering some Depends. And a water-proof mattress pad for my bed & couch. (And I'm only mostly kidding.)

Anyone have any stories to share? Suggestions? I really don't think you can freak me out much more than I already am, so please - bring it on.

11 comments:

jenny said...

My water didn't break until I was 9 cm in labor! And my sister's never broke w/ any of her three kids. So... don't worry too much. It is beyond your control. But, my friend did have her water break 3 weeks early in the middle of a meeting at work -she's an accountant!

The ORourkes said...

So I have heard that if your water breaks while you are standing up, the baby's head acts like a cork and you don't gush all over. So just be sure when you are in public to be standing up! :) Chances of your water breaking in public are pretty slim... it usually doesn't happen until you are in labor, and sometimes (my case twice) they break it for you to speed up labor. A good thing.

Jenny (Swope) Russell said...

my water broke when i rolled over in bed one morning. what i've heard is that it usually breaks when you are laying down because the baby's head isn't putting as much pressure and is essentially acting like a plug. it did not stain and was easy to clean up! good luck!! you are almost there!

Mama Mote said...

Sorry...no insight into this. Both times it broke at the hospital. My midwife was splattered. Sorry - TMI. She's coming soon, though, so waiting and watching. Hugs.

Barb said...

The vast majority of the time, they have to break it for you. They use this thing that looks like a knitting needle and say they're going to "snag the bag." Just don't go shopping while you're in labor...

Anonymous said...

Mine broke in bed at 4 in the morning. It really is like water from what I remember. No stains. :) I looked like I peed my pants, but the sheets were dry. They had to break more of it later at the hospital. I never expected it to happen at home. It doesn't happen often.
-Sarah Whigham

Anonymous said...

Oh, and look at it this way-- if it breaks, you know you'll have the baby in the next 24 hours and don't have to worry about going to the hospital for a false alarm. :)

Anonymous said...

Doctor broke mine both times and that is when the "real" labor began! I hear that most of the time instead of a gush, it is more of a slow leak that you think you are peeing on yourself. Meg

Katie said...

My fear is that mine will break while I'm starting an IV on a patient in the ER. How embarrassing would that be? "I'm sorry I just jabbed a needle into your arm so hard, I think my water just broke." That said, I don't think the couch or the bed would be so bad. At least you'd be in the privacy of your own home!

Unknown said...

I can't give much advice on the water breaking thing since I was induced with both girls, but I can tell you what a great mom I am sure you will be for baby J. The girls are so excited. I heard Torri tell someone this weekend that she may be an aunt this week. We all love you so much and can't wait to extend our already extended family!!

TNBuckeye said...

My mom lucked out when she had me....her water broke while she was in the shower. However I was born in the elevator in the hospital. Luckily there was a nurse in the elevator!

Jackie