Monday, September 7, 2009

'Tis So Sweet

It's late. I have already been in bed for a couple of hours and just can't seem to find sleep, so I thought I'd get out some of the thoughts rolling around in this seemingly tireless brain of mine. I already made another list of "to-do's" before baby J arrives, but I thought I'd spare you from the frivolous details I seem to get hung-up on. You're welcome.


Instead, I seek the only true Peace I know tonight. The Peace that passes all understanding and is always waiting for me - if only I would remember to ask for it. I try so hard to be "anxious for nothing," but I often forget the rest of that familiar verse that goes on to say, "but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the God of PEACE, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:6-7) .

I was reminded of this same peace as well as the strength offered only through God during our worship time at church this morning. I can't quite put into words all that God reminded me of, but it was a powerful and rather emotional service for me (go figure...the emotions are in overdrive at this point). The first song we sang reminded me that God's strength never fails, even when I feel weak & weary. Here are a few of the lyrics (taken from Isaiah 40):

Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord,

We will wait upon the Lord,

we will wait upon the Lord.


Our God - You reign forever
Our hope - our strong deliverer

You are the everlasting God
You do not faint
You won't grow weary

You're the defender of the weak
You comfort those in need
You lift us up on wings like eagles


There was a little white-haired lady sitting in front of me who made me think instantly of my Grandma Schoon, and as the lady standing next to her (who I presumed to be her daughter) bent down and took her hand, the tears stung my eyes. I was reminded of the generations of faith that I have blessed with - the rich legacy which I hope to now pass on to my own daughter. The tears flowed freely as the familiar hymn began to play, and I could only bow my head and listen to the words:

Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
And to know, “Thus saith the Lord!”

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er;
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!
I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that Thou art with me,
Wilt be with me to the end.



Thank you, Father, that I can trust you with every anxious thought. Thank you that I can trust you with this precious little one I am soon to meet, and that she too can trust you for all things. Thank you for the promise of being with us always, even when we're weak and weary. I am truly grateful that I have learned to trust Thee - please remind me of these simple truths when I try to take matters into my own incapable hands. I do know that "Thou art with me," and I praise you for the promise that you will be with me unto the very end.

3 comments:

Mama Mote said...

Amen, Kali. Yes, He is there and always will be as you raise your little girl for Him. Excited to meet her - at least here. Maybe someday we'll meet her face-to-face, but till then, prayers are going up now for you, Dan and Baby J.

Barb said...

I thought of you and Grandma School this weekend - we were in Iowa. I got Baby J a little something so you can think of Iowa whenever you use it. I'll get it in the mail this week...

Praying for you and a safe delivery!

Anonymous said...

I'll sing the harmony if you take the melody. I can almost hear it. Love you. ~Mom