Thursday, September 17, 2009

Louis L'amour & a Quick Recipe

I know - 2 posts in one day?! So I'm getting a little stir crazy with all of this waiting. Please bear (bare? which one?) with me.

Yesterday I stopped at the library to drop off a couple of books and decided to pick up a few for Dan. He had requested some "mindless" books recently (i.e. fiction, which he doesn't read very often), and since he has read and re-read every Louis L'amour book on our bookshelf I decided that would be a good pick. I brought home 5 last night, and from 8:30 until almost 1:00am, this is what he did:


1 book down...4 to go. I'd say the poor guy needed a break from the medical books he's been pouring over lately!

On to random musing number 2: I made some of my favorite soup last night. It was a very rainy day here (and is again today) and I just felt like making soup, so I grabbed my stack of recipes and landed on this - a Mexican soup that is basically a combo of about 3 different recipes I've made in the past. I think I shall call it Fiesta Tortilla Chicken Lime Soup (at least that's what I get when I combine all the names from the original recipes):


Fiesta Tortilla Chicken Lime Soup:
1/4 Cup Italian Dressing
3/4 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
2 small onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 each of 1 Red & 1 Green pepper
1 can stewed tomatoes (Mexican flavored)
1 Can chicken broth
1 1/4 Cup water
3/4 Cup frozen corn (or 1 can)
1 tsp. chili powder
2 Tbl. chopped cilantro
2-4 Tbl. lime juice (this is a pretty strong flavor, so start small)
Mexican style shredded cheese
Sour Cream
Tortilla Chips

Heat dressing in large saucepan on med-high heat. Add chicken, onions, garlic & peppers and cook for about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, water, corn and chili powder, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 8 min. or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender. Add lime juice & cilantro to taste. Ladle the soup into 4 ovenproof bowls, top with cheese, then place under the broiler for about 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream & crushed tortillas chips as garnish (and extra cilantro if you'd like).

This is also really good if you shred the chicken rather than chopping it...but that also takes a lot more time and work. I'm all about efficiency :) The best part about this is that you really can make it start to finish in about 30 minutes. Enjoy!

One more random note: The season premier of The Office is tonight! I can hardly contain my excitement :) I'm hoping baby J holds off long enough (and guessing that won't be a problem)!

3 comments:

Mama Mote said...

I think one of the Poly professors I worked for read Louis L'amour books. Well, it's nice he could do that NOW since time spent will be a little different when Baby J comes. How exciting! She'll come when she comes, hopefully before inducing, but whatever. Hope everything goes smoothly and she is healthy and you get some rest beforehand. Recipe sounds good.

Angilee Claire said...

That soup is SOGOOD! :)

Can't wait to meet your little girl - hopefully very very soon!!! Have a wonderful weekend!

jenny said...

Kali,

Trav was too embarrassed to say the latter part of the equation to Dan, so I will (in blog-worthy language, mind you):
1. curb walk
2. bounce on ball
3. curb walk some more
4. marital coupling :-)

90 minutes later, I'm in labor.

I was one week over due though and VERY desperate!