Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Surviving Frequent Explosions: A Tutorial

I love my blogging friends. Many of you have offered your sympathy and advice on the little "explosion problem" I mentioned awhile back, and I am seriously indebted to you. How is it going, you ask? Well...it's still going. Let's just say the child certainly doesn't have any issues with constipation!

Many of you offer exceptional tutorials on your blogs, displaying your amazing talents in things like crafting, knitting, cooking, etc. So today, I wanted to repay you for your kindness by offering a little of my own expertise. Without further adou (or however you spell that word), I present to you a tutorial on surviving the inevitable explosions:

Step 1: Survey the damages. Where is the point of escape? Up the back? Down the leg? Also, exactly what type of volume are we dealing with? In this case, we have an up-the-back escape with moderate volume. And we're at home, so this is good.


Step 2: Remove the "soiled" clothing BEFORE dealing with the diaper itself. Otherwise, the mess just spreads. Trust me on this one.



Step 3: Naked baby! I guess that's not really a step...but basically this is where you strip her down to nothing and take care of the very full (most of the time) diaper, while preparing the bath.

Let me pause here to ask a quick question (I know, I'm supposed to be the expert here...sorry. I need help.) - why in the world does it completely escape the diaper sometimes when the diaper isn't even remotely full?!? It baffles me. Every time.

She likes to be naked.


Step 4: Add the poopy clothes to the other ones that are already soaking from an early explosion that day (I think we were on explosion #2 here). Pause to give thanks for the magical powers of Oxy Clean.


Step 5: Throw that baby in the tub! Okay, place gently. Enjoy the kicking and smiles that ensue.


Step 6: Enjoy the sites & smells of a fresh, clean baby. Apply baby lotion liberally to compensate for the previous smells experienced.


Step 7: Once she's dressed again (and has promptly spit up all over her fresh clean self), wrap her up and put her down for a nap. You both deserve it.


Step 8: This one is crucial. Grab some oreos, pour some milk for dunking, and celebrate a small victory for motherhood.

7 comments:

Barb said...

Oh, Kali, you make me laugh. We had some blowouts so bad that we just threw away the onesie; I had not discovered the miracle of OxiClean at that point. It does end eventually... By the way - her rolls are adorable!

Anonymous said...

Don't remember ever having that problem but your personal accounts are hilarious! BTW, I absolutely LOVED that picture of her in the Bumbo chair. Seriously, could she be any happier?!
Love you,
Aunt Linda

Sharon said...

By George, I think you've got it!

kelseylynae said...

Oh Kali...

[First, did Aunt Linda seriously use "BTW" above?! LOL. ROFL. etc.]

I cannot NOT see Caroline anymore. I will let her poop all over me [maybe it will give me some happy memories for this topic...innapropriate to leave on a blog comment? most likely.]

Looks like you've got everything under control... and serioulsy, who cares if she poops all the time if she looks that happy naked!?

Love you.

Amy J said...

That was awesome. Love her sweet faces!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!!

KELLY K

Ryan and Katie said...

Orin has always been more on the constipation end of the spectrum, but for those occassional blowouts Oxyclean is miraculous!! I use it in almost every load now!