Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Belated Birthday Dinner

Dan's birthday comes every year on January 3rd, and in the 4 years we've been married on that date I don't believe we've been home even once to celebrate. It always seems to fall on a travel day, although this year we were able to celebrate with my family in Missouri with a fabulous ham dinner followed by some football over at the Blythes. He certainly enjoyed his day, but I felt like he deserved a real birthday at home for once, so I made good on that promise this past Saturday.

Let me back up a quick second...Dan's family totally spoiled me rotten this Christmas by giving me a KitchenAid stand mixer!!! I've never used one of these, but I admit to living in sin as I have covetted those of my friends. So I thank my dear in-laws for helping me pull out of this sinful cycle and for enabling me to bake to my heart's content with this shiny new toy. I love you guys :)

Okay, so Dan's belated "birthday day" gave me a great reason to try out my new mixer. I started the night before and made these yummy French Breakfast Puffs (from my Pioneer Woman cookbook) so they'd be waiting for us in the morning. They're light and fluffy and dipped in butter then cinnamon & sugar...and they're pretty awesome with a big cup of coffee on the side. Not a bad way to kick off the day! (please note my pretty mixer hiding behind the coffee pot in the background)

We just heated up some leftovers for lunch as we were in the middle of some projects around the house (hey, it's what he wanted to do...and who am I to tell the birthday boy what to do on his birthday day?). Then for dinner we sat down to a lovely feast as chosen by Dan. Here was the menu:

pan-seared steak (PW recipe)
oven-roasted veggies
baked potatoes
Caesar salad

When I went to set the table, Dan had pulled it around in front of the fireplace and lit some candles -- so romantic, that boy. Caroline even cooperated and went down for a nap just as we were ready to eat. What a sweet baby!


Then, for dessert I made Dan's favorite chocolate pie. This is also a PW recipe, which I've made before but not for some time as it involves continuous and extended use of a mixer. 20 minutes with a hand-held mixer just isn't all that fun. But now, NOW this pie is very fun :) And equally delicious!





After inhaling his piece, Dan informed me that this is now officially to be known as his birthday pie. And it is to be made every year on his birthday from now on. I'd say this was a successful birthday dinner, even if it was a bit belated.
And now we are both swearing off PW recipes in hopes of cutting our caloric intake by about 90%. I'll let you know how long that lasts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for kitchenaid mixers!
Also, is there leftover pie? :)

Mama Mote said...

Very nice, Kali. Glad Dan was able to get a birthday day. The pie looks yummy. Good luck with cutting calories. I'm trying that, too. Need to lose some pounds. love and hugs

Unknown said...

Dear Kalie Johnston,
I just want you to know that our friendship is currently at a crucial moment. I cannot decide if I want to love you to death or kill you for introducing me to The Pioneer Woman.

I'll let you know when a decision is made.




But secretly...I think I'm in love with that stupid site.