Friday, January 29, 2010

Justice


For as long as I can remember, justice has been something that has driven me. My parents will attest to my sense of fairness, even as a child - something that probably drove them both bonkers from time to time as I was quick to point out even the smallest injustices, usually occurring between my sister and me. Don't get me wrong, my mother told me time and again that "life isn't always fair, Kali!" But it was (and still is) just a part of my make-up, a trait I acquired largely from my father.

Knowing this, you will understand a bit better how my world was completely rocked back in July of 2007 when my Dad was fired from his 27-year job as an agent with the Missouri Department of Conservation for reasons that were utterly and completely unjust. It just didn't make any sense! My Dad is a man of integrity, a rule-follower to the core (another trait I inherited), and excellent at what he does. Isn't that what one would want in a law enforcement officer? But more than that, HOW could someone get away with firing my Dad when he hadn't done anything worthy of such drastic measures? It simply was the most UNfair, UNjust thing I could imagine. But that's exactly what had happened.

These past 2 1/2 years have certainly shaken my belief in our justice system as I have watched my Dad take it on head first. I have felt the crushing weight of disappointment as the original hearing within the Department did not turn out in our favor. I have watched my parents experience the agony of waiting...and waiting....and waiting on the next hearing, the next decision, the next step in this never-ending process. It's true, the wheels of justice turn very slowly.

But in the midst of it all, I have seen the faith of our family growing stronger. Rather than throwing this back in the face of God and seeking their own means of retribution, I have watched as my parents have trusted in spite of the obstacles and have continued to believe that ultimately justice would prevail. I watched my Dad do the impossible as he made it through the rigours of the Patrol Academy last year and saw strength in my Mom like never before as she supported him while he was away for 6 months (and then some!). I have seen prayers answered time after time as friends & family have come around my parents throughout this, never doubting their word and always encouraging us to keep going.

While God's timing is usually not what we'd like it to be, He is never late. This week we got the decision from the last hearing, and the judge ruled in our favor! On all 4 counts! God is SO very, very faithful. My sense of justice has certainly been tested, but on this end I can see once again that TRUTH always prevails. Lies eventually show themselves to be just that.

I could write so much more on this, but I'll leave you with this for now - a verse my Mom shared with me when she called to tell me the wonderful news. She read it in the middle of the night just a few nights before we received the verdict:


"The wicked lie in wait for the righteous,
seeking their very lives;
but the LORD will not leave them in their power
or let them be condemned when brought to trial."

~Psalm 37: 32-33

2 comments:

Amanda said...

CONGRATS!! My sense of justice has certainly been challenged since starting law school, but it's great to hear that it was served in your Dad's case!

Mama Mote said...

Congratulations to your dad, Kali! Praise God!