Monday, December 7, 2009

Please Help

I'll start this post with an illustrated story to give you a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

This past Thursday, Dad took Caroline & me to the Carter House and Museum in nearby Franklin, TN. On our way, we stopped at Arby's and I accidentally ordered FIVE roast beef sandwhiches (don't ask how...I'm still not sure). Then we found our way to the Carter House...and drove past it because Dad thought the battlefield was somewhere else (turns out it wasn't). Once back at the museum, we watched the standard documentary video, during which Caroline snuggled up with her Papa and fell asleep. Then we headed outside for a tour of the house & grounds. We had a fabulous tour guide and I really learned a lot, both about the Carter House as well as how to keep a hungry baby quite during a historical tour.



Then, THEN...we headed across town to a local bike shop my Dad wanted to check out. While driving, I started to notice a very distinct smell wafting from the back seat. THAT smell that every mother knows, so I knew I would need to change her once we got to the bike shop. When I got her out of her seat, I realized we had a problem. A blowout to be exact. And I was going into a bike shop to deal with it?! I entered the door and quickly scanned the room until I found a bench in the back that seemed like it would work. The sales clerk gave me a funny look, but I had no options at this point. I got situated and dealt with the problem as quickly as possible (which was not very quickly at all). At this point I realized that I just so happened to have my camera handy (and my sense of humor still intact), so I snapped a few shots knowing this would make good blog fodder at some point.


No big deal - just getting my diaper (and entire outfit) changed in a bike shop. Happens all the time.



What do you do with poopy clothes & diaper in a BIKE SHOP?? Thank goodness Columbia thought to include plastic bags that seal shut in their diaper bags.



Thanks Mommy - I feel so much better!

Then a quick photo-op with Papa since we were there:



Okay, so I share that story to get to my plea for help which actually has nothing to do with historical sites or bike shops. The reason I need your help has everything to do with poop. Caroline has had more blowouts this week than I know what to do with! (My definition of blowout: an explosive dirty pants that cannot be contained by a diaper and therefore requires a full wardrobe change if not a bath.) Let's count - once in a restaurant, once in a bike shop, once at Kohls (those 3 all actually took place in her carseat), a couple of times ON ME (literally), once in her bouncy seat. That's at least 6 times in less than a week, people!!

I'm getting a bit desperate. Is there anything at all I can do to prevent this? She's right between diaper sizes and I'm wondering if that possibly has something to do with it? I'm trying the next size up today, so we'll see. I'm also using Pampers because we've had even worse luck with Huggies, but I haven't tried any others. It seems to be less an issue of volume and more about the, umm, force behind it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone?? While I can recognize the humor in this to a certain extent, I have so many poopy clothes to treat for stains (including my own) that I'm going to have to start using the bath tub! Please, if you have any ideas at all...please...pass them on. I will be forever indebted to you for your wisdom.

Sincerely,
Covered in Poop

8 comments:

Dad said...

I'm thinking the white cjilli we had at your house might have had something to do with her problem.It was great but whooee!

Dad

Katie said...

My advice: always pack at least three clean outfits (including socks and matching bows) in the diaper bag. Piper treated us to a massive blowout in the middle of Culver's...while wearing her church clothes. Thank God for scented baggies and LOTS of baby wipes!

Megan said...

I would always carry at least 3 clothing changes. And put on a white onsie under all outfits to "absorb" most of the blowout before it got on the good clothes. Also, evaluate what you have been eating. Something you like may not be agreeing with her (ie. dairy, spicy, caffeine, etc) Hope all else is well. Love you all!!

Mama Mote said...

I was thinking whatever you're eating, she is also getting. The things Megan said are causes of my reflux, but that's a different story. Try avoiding things, if you can...just test it. But yes, carry extras of everything so you're ready. Hope things get better for you. But glad you had time with your dad.

Amanda said...

No helpful suggestions here, but I'll chime in on how cute she is! She's getting so big! Also, although I'm sure it wasn't intentional, I love that her outfit matches your blog background! :)

Unknown said...

Looks like you are getting some good advice. Just to add to your worries, Torri was an explosion baby and look what we ended up with-Could there be another Beaner on the way!!

John and Sarah Clore said...

Gotta love some dirty d!! I say go a size up, pull the tabs as close together as possible, and then a onesie under everything. Some kiddos are just poopers no matter what you do, and she'll stop eventually. Harvey and Mary Helen both go through phases where they have lots of diarrhea and then go back to normal for no apparent reason. MH has blowouts a few times a week (at the very least), and onesies help tremendously with cleanup. Good luck! :)

Liv said...

I think the last comment is what i would do. Put a bigger diaper on and really make sure the elastic on the legs is secure then put a larger onsie on to absorb the problem. Aria's poos were never too bad- or I don't remember them?? I'm not sure.
Liv