Monday, January 18, 2010

Bittersweet


Like many people across the world, I have been glued to the television this past week as we have all watched the horror in Haiti unfolding before us. I have wanted to write about it but simply have not been able to find words. It's overwhelming. And quite simply, the contrast between that unimaginable hell and my peaceful, blessed life is mind-boggeling. I have sat for hours watching the death & destruction & hopelessness, only to be snapped back to my own reality by the sweet smile of my healthy and whole baby girl. It's simply too much for the mind and soul to take in.

And in watching and crying and praying, I have thought what so many of us have thought this past week...if only I could DO something!

Yesterday our church took up an offering for Haiti. But before they past the baskets, they briefly mentioned that a medical team was quickly forming in the hopes to deploy this week. If there was anyone with medical training that might be interested, the missions pastor would meet them after the service. Dan looked over at me. "I know I'm not a doctor, but do you think I would be of any help??"

"Are you kidding me? You're a PA! You'd be far more than just a help right now!" Also running through my mind was the fact that THIS is exactly what he has been working towards since college.

So long story short - Dan leaves for Haiti on Thursday! Actually, it's not a very long story at all as we still don't have a lot of information to go on. From what we understand, this team will be going to a smaller city called Jacmel just about 20 miles south of Port Au Prince. There is a local orphanage that has been converted into a makeshift medical clinic where they will hopefully be able to relieve some of the medical personel who were the first to arrive, if not simply to join them in the massive relief efforts. The Doctor that is putting this altogether here in Nashville is an Orthopedic Surgeon, which seems to be one of the most urgent needs at the present. Dan doesn't really know exactly what he will be doing, but my guess is no one really knows at this point in time.

Yesterday we prayed that God would just let the doors fly open if this was to happen, and He has certainly answered that prayer. Dan's Doctors/bosses were gracious and supportive when he called yesterday, requesting only that he take care of his schedule before he leaves, which he has been furiously working on today. When he called me around 1:00, it was already almost completely taken care of.

Dan is very excited and anxious, as am I. Please pray for us over these next few days that everyhing would continue to fall into place and that God would prepare Dan and the rest of this team for what they are about to face. But more importantly, continue to pray for the people of Haiti. God knows how desperately they need our prayers right now.

I will do my best to keep you all updated as we continue to have information!

5 comments:

jenny said...

Totally awesome!!! We will keep you in our prayers.

Jennifer said...

Kali this is so amazing! Isn't it incredible to see how God knits the pieces of our lives together for moments and opportunities that we aren't even aware of? You and Dan are in my prayers!

Unknown said...

Kali, I'm excited for you and Dan. He's going to see some tough stuff though. I will be praying for him as he goes and PLEASE tell me when he's supposed to return b/c he's going to need a lot of prayer when he comes back. Thanks for having a beautiful servant heart.

Anonymous said...

Kali, that is awesome! We'll be praying for you both!

Jason and Anna said...

so confused! haha. the post isn't showing up for me and now i'm really curious to know where Dan's going...or is it all of you!?! :)