Monday, March 9, 2009

And So It Begins...

First of all, thank you all so much for all of your comments! We appreciate the support and encouragement so much, and who doesn't like to get comments? It's fun to see who stops by this blog every so often.

And so it begins...the many wondrous and wacky experiences of pregnancy. The past couple of months have been filled with queasiness for me, although I am thankful that I am not nearly as sick as I could be. The sight and smell of food tends to be the usual culprit - especially when it's actually cooking. Dan has been so great to fend for himself most meals, although I'm always willing to share whatever oh-so-bland pasta or bread I happen to be munching on. Any tips on semi-healthy foods that might taste good right now? The mac & cheese and ramen noodles are starting to get a little old.

I've also experienced the usual fatigue of the first trimester. Who knew that something so tiny would require so much energy?! This is a bit embarrassing, but yesterday I took a bit of a marathon nap...for 4 hours!! Now, before you go getting too judgemental, I had a little help. My doctor recommended that I take 1/2 of a Unisom tablet (a sleep aid) for my nausea, which I was told shouldn't make me too drowsy. I'm glad I didn't try that at work! Perhaps it helps quell nausea because it renders you totally unconscious.

Just in the past week, my pants have started feeling a bit tighter. I didn't think I had really grown any noticeable amount, but day by day my pants have become more and more uncomfortable, particularly at work. I mean, that button is going to have to go soon! I'm just not quite ready to purchase maternity clothes yet, but in an effort to make my work wardrobe last a bit longer, I made this purchase at Target this weekend:

I think it's called a BellaBand. Has anyone ever heard of this? Does it actually work? It seems like it just might be the ticket to hold up some button-less pants for the next little while.

In other news, spring has definitely sprung here in middle Tennessee! Blossoms are exploding like crazy, along with the daffodils and fresh green grass that is poking it's way up through last year's left-overs. I love spring! Pictures soon to follow.

7 comments:

jenny said...

Yes! I used the BellaBand for quite awhile and loved it. Then, the maternity pants came in - ahhh... SO comfortable (once you're big enough for them to actually stay up!). I'm sorry you've been feeling under the weather - I sure hope that passes for you. Have you been eating fruits and veggies? Some options, but I never did. I don't think I cooked much at all during the pregnancy and I felt like an awful wife. But now I'm cooking like a mad woman and am so glad that I feel like making food again - I thought that feeling would never come back! Okay... I could just write WAYYY too much about pregnancy... I get so excited when I find out a friend's pregnant!

Ali said...

Kali - Congrats, I'm so excited for you!!! I loved the BellaBand and didn't know they sold them at Target (good find :) Sorry about the nausea - I can't really relate, I never had any, but the fatigue does improve alot in the 2nd trimester (and I was still working 60-70 hours per week). Good luck with everything!!

Ali

Micah Hilton said...

I can't wait to see your little pregnant belly. Congrats again. It sure is spring around here too, and almost everyone I know is pregnant (well at least it seems) Glad you enjoyed my blog, I enjoy your's too

AmyBethJames said...

So I've never been pregnant, but I HAVE been a picky eater for 25 years now. I'll offer my suggestions in that department. There are these rice & pasta sides (in the same grocery aisle as like, noodles) made by a company called Knorr. You just add water and/or milk and cook for 10-15 minutes. They are very mild but have some yummy flavors. They also make some with lots of veggies in there with the rice, like carrots and peas and broccoli. As a person who doesn't like veggies very much I find this to be a tolerable way to consume them. There's several full servings of veggies in each bunch. As far as fruit goes, maybe try some smoothies? I don't like many fruits fresh, but I like those same fruits in a smoothie or juice form. I don't know if any of that sounds good to you but that is my contribution to this topic! :)

kelseylynae said...

I think the BellaBand only works if you flash your shirt up like that....

Sarah Griffin said...

I lived off of fruit smoothies, and "veggie delite" sandwhiches from Subway during my pregnancy... they were really the only things that not only didn't make me queasy, but i actually felt good eating them too. Alot of that sickness stuff subsides around the start of the 2nd trimester. I took tons of naps in the first trimester too, felt really good the 2nd trimester, and then needed lots of rest during the 3rd.

Anonymous said...

I must add in my congrats also. I read your post the same day you posted it and had to call little Mel Lunning that afternoon and share the joy with her since she is also in the motherly way. I had some friends around here that used the bellaband they really seemed to like it. I'd offer more help but i have to experience so it wouldn't be much good. I must agree with kelsey though... =)