Thursday, November 5, 2009

To My Daughter




My dearest Caroline,
My goodness how life has changed since you came into our lives just less than 6 short weeks ago. Your daddy and I were so very excited to meet you, an yet anxious about how exactly life would look when there were 3 of us instead of just 2. We could never imagine how instantly and fully we would fall in love with you when we finally met you face to face. You are the most beautiful creation we've ever seen, miraculously created by God and somehow entrusted to us as your parents. Boy do we have a big job ahead of us!

I absolutely love being your Mommy. You have proved to be the sweetest baby I have ever known with such a sweet spirit. Even when I still carried you inside of me, we guessed that you might be a pretty laid back girl, and we were right! You don't do a lot of crying unless there is something wrong...or whenever it's time to put clothes on. For some reason you rather enjoy being naked, so your daddy will often just strip you down if you ever do get fussy. Mommy isn't so keen on that and insists that you like to be warm!

My favorite time with you is in the morning just after you've eaten and I lay you down in front of the sunny window to play. You kick and coo and give me lots of smiles then, and I get a glimpse of what you might be like a few months down the road when you learn to crawl. I think we're going to have a big time then! I also love to rock you in your beautiful rocking chair from your Great-Grandpa AJ. You love to snuggle your face into my shoulder and sometimes look up at me with those beautiful big eyes of yours. We often sing and talk together until you're fast asleep and I have to make myself lay you down.

Becoming your mommy has filled my heart with more love than I knew it could contain. Sometimes tears roll down my cheeks because the love just needs a way to escape I think...then again it could just be the hormones :) Somehow becoming your mommy has given me more love for your daddy as I watch him with you. You don't know it yet, but he's pretty smitten with you. Sometimes I catch him just staring at you while you sleep in his arms. In the morning before he goes to work, he spends some time with you while mommy gets a little extra sleep. He tells me hears you before he picks you up, but I'm still not sure he doesn't actually wake you just so he can hold you for awhile.

Your extended family is also a little crazy about you, Caroline. Your Nana & Papa were the first 2 people to hold you after your mommy & daddy, I wasn't sure your Papa was going to give you back. Your Nana is so excited to come see you again next week. You've grown so much since she left just after you turned 1 week old! Your Aunt Kelsey tried to take you home with her when she visited again last week. I think you might have let her, too as you were quite content in her arms. Your Grandma & Grandpa Johnston are coming to see you again in a few weeks, along with your Aunts Katee, Amanda & Jewel, and I think you might just get a little spoiled while they're here! Your Great-Grandma Fedorka is also coming to meet you, and your Great Aunt & Uncle, too. What a blessed little girl you are to have so much family that loves you so very much! Now if we could all just live a little bit closer so we see each other more often...

Caroline, you have certainly changed our life in a hurry, but I can say confidently that I would never go back. Becoming a mommy makes me feel like I have finally discovered what it is that God wants me to do with my life. I realize that it will take a lifetime to accomplish this job, but there is nothing I want more than to raise you in a way that honors God. I can't wait to find out what you'll be like as a little girl, as a teenager, a young woman, and someday even a mother yourself. I pray that you will have a sweet & peaceful spirit that spills out on everyone you meet, that you love learn to love God above all else, and that through Him you will make this world a better place. We have a very long ways to go from here, but I'd say we're off to a pretty good start!

Love always,
Mommy

8 comments:

kelseylynae said...

I was wanting you to do this, but I didn't want you to feel pressured.

Beautiful. She will love it.

I wrote her a note and tucked it in the back of her canvas.

jenny said...

Lovely. And so true. I know those feelings. You expressed them beautifully. Good reminder for me today as I had a rough day with my not-wanting-to-obey daughter. :-)

Sharon said...

Spoken from the heart of a mother. I know another mommy that prayed the same for her daughter. God is faithful.

Bobbi and Kat said...

Wow. Very well written and what a special thing for her to look back on someday. Isn't being a Mommy just the best thing you could ever imagine!?! :)

Whitney said...

Oh Kali, you are such a precious mother, and I know you are already raising a precious girl! She is undoubtedly well-loved, and I know that God is smiling upon His creation whom He has placed in the arms of two parents who are worthy of such blessing and who will be servants to His will in raising little Caroline. I'm so glad you have this intimate time to spend with her, and it's making me all the more anxious to become a mother as well. :-)

Mama Mote said...

Such a beautiful, touching and personal letter. Thanks for sharing, Kali. I know Caroline will love it. And isn't God looking at us the same way. Loving us, listening to us, can't wait to have time with us, studying us? You and Dan are going to be great parents and lots of fun times ahead. Tell the Johnstons congratulations for me if you think of it. Miss them all. love and hugs

Anonymous said...

I am in tears as I read this. For those of us that never included children in our Barbie dream house...unlike you who turned every Barbie into a child, you make motherhood seem less crazy! This is a beautful letter that she is going to enjoy one day and I can't wait to tell her that you really have been waiting for her your whole life.

DPJ said...

Love it Kal! Wow...that was awesome. You are a wonderful mother and such a great wife. I am so blessed.
Love you!