Monday, August 31, 2009

I hate good-byes

It's been a busy weekend as we helped some of our dearest friends here in Nashville pack up for their big move. I don't know how many times I thought to myself how strange it is to help friends move - enabling them to do the very thing you so wish wasn't going to happen. But I guess it's just what friends do, huh?

Megan & Alan were some of the first people we met when we moved here -Alan was in Dan's PA class, and they hit it off right away. Megan was pregnant with their first (Abby) at the time, and I was able to get to know her during the later part of her pregnancy when she was on bed rest and I had no friends - so we hung out (she couldn't get away from me basically). There was even an incident where she & I went to the local flea market so she could get out for a bit & after several bouts of contractions, I became convinced she was going to have that baby right then and there (she didn't).

We were able to be there for Abby's birth in 2006, and I fell in love with that sweet baby girl. We have spent countless evenings at their place enjoying Megan's fine cooking and laughing together over lots of games. Last summer we did a short vacation together down to Florida when Megan was pregnant with Sam (#2) and had a blast together as they showed us around some of their old stomping grounds. Dan was among the first to hold baby Sam after he was born at the end of July 2008 just after I left for Estes Park, Colorado for 2 weeks for work. Needless to say, I was dying to see that little boy when I got home!

The Lord has blessed us with many dear friends in Nashville, but there is something about saying good-bye to these guys that have been here from the beginning that is such a lonely feeling. They're only moving 2 hours away, so we know we'll still be seeing each other - but there were still tears as we hugged good-bye one last time this morning before they pulled out.

Megan & Alan - thank you for your loyal friendship and all of the many memories you've given us these past 3 1/2 years. You are the type of friends we have known we could always count on, and that is worth it's weight in gold. And Abby & Sam - please don't grow too fast between the times we get to see you! We love you and will miss you so very much - Nashville just isn't the same without you.



P.S. This is entirely unrelated, but it's too exciting not to post today. You may remember I mentioned awhile back that my Grandma was making some bedding for the crib...and it's finished!! She got it in the mail last week and it arrived on Friday - certainly the most exciting morning I had all week! Here's a sneak peak, and I'll post more nursery pictures as it comes together in the next few days:

I just love it!!

No comments: