Friday, August 14, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

So here's something really deep for my faithful readers to ponder on this hot Friday afternoon. I really need your help and am hoping that you'll really put some thought into this for me, as I certainly don' want to make a rash decision that I'll regret later on. Please...I need your help.

So here's the life-altering decision I'm contemplating today: Should I cut my hair or leave it long? I mean really people - I'm sort of hung up on this. Here are my thoughts:

Short hair has lots of benefits. It's quicker to wash, WAY quicker to dry, and easy to style. I've had my hair short before and like the way it looks on me, so that's not too big of a gamble. The down sides are not being able to pull it back and out of my face as easily, and the fact that you pretty much have to wash & style it every day. Then there's the fact that you have to cut it more frequently to keep it looking decent. Also I feel like short hair makes me look younger...not sure if that's a pro or con at this point.

Demonstrating some short hair awhile back with a couple coworkers at Music in the Rockies

On the other hand, there's my long hair I have now. It also has it's benefits, the biggest of which is that I don't have to fix it and can simply pull it back and be done. That doesn't always look the greatest, but for days at home and running errands, I'm pretty ok with a pony tail. If I do take the time to fix it, I can usually make that last at least a couple days if not three (sorry if that grosses you out...my sister is worse. I just said that to make me feel better. And please keep in mind that curly hair is a different breed). The down sides: WAY more time involved when I actually do fix it, which equals me rarely fixing my hair.

When I actually fix it...most of the time, it's in a ponytail.



Also, there's the fact that Dan likes my hair long. I'm kind of leaving that out of the equation right now - too many other practical issues to think about here, folks.

So there's my dilemma. I'm just trying to think about what would be easiest once baby arrives...spend a long time one day and get a few days "wear" or quick and easy but every day?? Those of you that are moms, please, help me think through this. I need you.

Let me just end this by saying that I feel really shallow right now that I was able to write an entire post just on the thoughts rolling through my head about a silly haircut. No wonder I never get anything done.

17 comments:

Lionel Messi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kelseylynae said...

My thoughts, for what they're worth:

Go short. But the real short like you had when I visited that one Thanksgiving. The real Nashville hair do.

Why? Because When it's that short it doesn't necessarily take much to stick a few bobby pins in and get it out of your face and you can pull that off like a pony tail to just veg and stuff. Also, I don't think you have to worry about the age thing once you're carting around my niece.

And I will own up to your shower comment: I showered the first day of school and haven't showered again since (only 3 days, no big).

One downside I can think of: I like when babies stick their hands up in long hair and play with it.

Lauri said...

Keep it long.

Anonymous said...

Even though this has nothing to do with your decision (I still can't make a decision about my own hair for pity sake!), I feel the need to comment on showering, or the lack thereof in Kelsey's case. I just want all you people out in "Blogland" to know that Kelsey was raised better than that!

Kali & Kelsey's Mom

Anonymous said...

Long...don't make "big" decisions until you're not pregnant anymore. And believe me, you'll appreciate the ponytail for the first few weeks of baby.
Barb

jenny said...

I'd have to go with KEEP IT LONG. You really won't have time to shower the first few weeks (months) and so a ponytail will be nice. Plus, you can keep the cut as an incentive for the babe gets a bit older...!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kali!
As a new mom my self that chopped her hair off shortly after the baby, I definitely recommend keeping it long! It is easier with the baby to just be able to pull it into a ponytail! :D

Jenny (Swope) Russell

>Megan< said...

I agree with long. A ponytail is so convenient, especially with baby in tow! Maybe short after you get into the swing of things with little girl but I would go with what is the easiest at first.

Anonymous said...

I thought I was being lazy putting my hair in a ponytail every day, but it looks like other moms do it too. :) The only other comment I have is to either not have bangs or carry a bobby pin in your pocket. Bangs are annoying, and I wish mine would have been grown out when Asher was born.
Also, if you can shower every morning, DO IT! It's soooo relaxing! (unless you do it when Dan's gone and the baby's crying :))
-Sarsh Whigham

John and Sarah Clore said...

Man, leave it long. I cut mine off before Harvey, and I still regret that one. Hairdressers talk about not cutting a pregnant woman's hair and now I know why. The long hair would have been nice for ponytails, pictures in the hospital would have looked better (short hair got real nappy), and you can go awhile without washing it. Seriously, you'll find time at least once every few days to fix it up. I wash my hair once every 3 days---its good for it! And I have curly hair too.

One more thing---your hair might change after you have her. My hair was real thick before Harvey, and now my individual strands are so thin and wispy. So it totally lays differently, thus the constant bad hair days and the regretting cutting my hair off. And you never know, I have a friend who had super curly hair and then after her daughter its completely straight! So I would wait until it's done changing to cut it. I love talking hair---I dont judge. :) I never think it's petty talk.

~Sarah

Anonymous said...

Short, short and scrunch and go with that curly hair - very cute

Kelly K

Micah Hilton said...

Joe and I vote for the total "Nashville Do" that you had before.;)
but it also looks great when it is long too.

Anonymous said...

I can't even make up my mind what to do with my own hair, so I can't vote, but I'm generally a big fan of the ponytail :)

meetingbetty said...

Keep it long. It's beautiful and versatile.

Kristen Gibbs said...

Hi Kali!

My hair was about shoulder length when Addison came -- just the right length to pull, so I had to cut it shorter. Basically what I am saying, is that you will want it really short (i.e. chin length) or long enough to put in a pony tail.

If you do decide to cut it, don't forget to donate it!

I hope you are feeling great! The end is in sight and oh so worth it!!

Kristen

annie said...

keep it long! i cut mine right after Sam was born and totally regretted it. long hair is so much easier!

BChambers said...

I've read through all the comments and I thought long at first and Im sticking to that answer:) I cut all my hair off right before I got pregnant and always wanted it long when I was pregnant(jealous). I think it makes you look younger..Is your hair pretty thick? You could always have it layered or thinned. (not as much for baby to get their hands into)And easier to put bobby pins in.
Do you have a name?...for some reason I just went to your blog, kinda upset at myself...I wish you all the best and I cant wait to see the little baby girl.
mamawolf