Wednesday, August 5, 2009

7 more weeks...and some catching up

It's hard to believe, but my due date is only 7 weeks away! Obviously our little Miss probably won't come on September 23 (unless she's like her momma), but it certainly gives us something to think about. I'm starting to feel like the end is in sight - which is both exciting and terrifying at the same time. I'm beginning to understand the whole "nesting" thing as I make my lists of things to do before baby. Why is it that list grows instead of shrinks? I just hope I have everything in place before she decides to make her grand appearance!


I'm also beginning to understand what it means to be in the final months & weeks of pregnancy. While I would NOT go back to the first trimester quesies, I am growing (literally) a bit more uncomfortable with each passing day. Things that were once so easy - like getting myself off the floor or even tying my shoes - are gradually becoming chores I avoid. I find myself grunting when I stoop to pick up the laundry or the innumerous objects seem to drop all the time, and 7 weeks sounds like forever away. It's a very strange phase as I feel that the time will never come and yet that it could come far too quickly.

Anyway, a few updates as I have been neglecting the blog lately -- I'll try and do this with pictures to keep it interesting :)

When I was home back in July, Grandpa AJ took me out to his workshop so I could see the progress on my glider rocker! Here's Uncle Kirby & Grandpa displaying their handiwork - I can't wait to see the finished product! How special to have such a keepsake built by these hands.

After Dad's graduation, I was able to make a trip up to Iowa with Mom, Dad, Kelsey & Brent (Dan had to get back to work). We had planned to spend a day or two at Lake Okaboji, but after landing at Aunt Linda's in Orange City, we just couldn't pull ourselves away and decided to spend our time there. I can't believe I didn't get a single picture with Aunt Linda & Uncle Alan, but it was so nice to get to spend some time with them. Their house will always be a sort of second home to me, especially after they saw me through 4 years of college! Thanks for still making it feel like home, Aunt Linda!



I also got to spend some long-awaited time with Grandma Schoon. It had been well over a year since I had been able to get up to Iowa to see her, once of the things that breaks my heart the most about living far away. I love these photos my sister took of Grandma with her 30th great-grandchild (I think...depending on when my cousin Jenny delivers!).


When I got home, Dan had planned a whole weekend for just the two of us, including a trip to the movies, some Coldstone icecream (just like one of our first dates!), and wonderful dinner at the Cheesecake Factory (thanks to a fabulous gift card), and a day at the zoo! We know our days as just "Dan & Kali" are dwindling quickly, so we are trying to take advantage of the time we do have now. What a wonderful weekend!


Dan's co-workers also surprised me with a baby shower last week! They were so very generous to do this for us, especially since Dan's last day there was on Friday (he started a new job on Monday! I'll write more about that soon). They had a whole lunch spread and this adorable cake topped with pink booties, and they showered us with many wonderful gifts for our baby girl - including some fabulous samples of baby sunscreen :-)

This past weekend, we were thrilled to have an old friend from Northwestern spend a couple days with us. Heather and Dan got to know each other their first couple years of college through several different ministries they were involved in, and now she is a full-time missionary in Afghanistan. We so admire the work she is doing there with women & children, and we were blessed just to hear some of her stories of what God is doing there. She also brought along some of her Afghan wardrobe - it even fits pregnant women!

I'll try and do better this month keeping up with the blog...as long as you all don't mind reading a lot of pregnancy updates as I have a feeling they might become more frequent!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, time's flying, huh? You look lovely :) How great that you could go see your family on your visit!

Mama Mote said...

Love your grandma picture, too. So sweet. 30 GREATgrandkids!!! Wow! BTW, the Dan and Kali days don't have to end. After you get used to having the little one around, take advantage of sitters and get that time together. After all, he is your first priority. It doesn't have to be long times, but even just dinner or something, just to keep the two of you getting some adult time. Can't wait to meet her. I can't believe the time is almost here.

AmyBethJames said...

Fun to read about all you've been up to! I like the pictures, the one of your grandma touching your tummy is frame-worthy, something to treasure!

Bobbi and Kat said...

You look SO cute! Wow, only seven weeks! I can't wait to see your sweet little muffin. :) Glad you are getting in some good family and hubby time before the baby. I LOVE that picture of you and Grandma Schoon!!!