Tuesday, June 9, 2009

$16 + tip

Something Dan and I have done since even before we were married has been to cut his hair at home, saving a little extra cash on monthly haircuts. I can't say I'm great at it, but I have gotten it down enough that I'm comfortable with it. Although, I am frequently reminded of the first time Dan convinced me that I could do it and I took off an entire sideburn and a nice big chunk out of the back. I've since learned the importance of the razor guard :)

Anyway, Dan estimates that a typical haircut for him runs around $16 + tip (because he's much too cheap to go to anything beyond Great Clips). So our deal has always been that if I give him a haircut, I get to choose how to spend that money. This translates nicely into a Mexican meal! This time, I chose a new top from Motherhood Maternity as I am starting to feel a little short in the wardrobe department.
The before shot:

Waiting for his stylist

The money-saving tools
Me worried about snipping a bit too much...How do you feel about a bowl cut?
The finished product:


So now I'm curious...what are some random ways that you save money?

6 comments:

Mama Mote said...

Dan gets a haircut twice a year. He gets it really short and it doesn't seem to grow that fast, but it does get long. Too funny. But we were JUST talking about me doing his hair from now on. We do have the money saving tools. Living in LA now and me not having a job yet have made us not go out to eat as much. We were going out way too much. But I'm glad for that. Once I get a job, I hope we do take it easy in the eating out department.

Dan, you look smashing!!! Good job, Kali.

kelseylynae said...

Well, as you know I also cut Brent's hair.

Also, I apparently have some mad money saving skillz when it comes to hand soap?

Also, I save money by showering less frequently: which saves on products such as soap and shampoo (and mousse, and hairspray), but also on our electric bill.

:)

AmyBethJames said...

Well we are hoping that joining our CSA will help us save money on food and eat healthier... we'll see how it goes for the rest of the summer! I also cut Ben's hair, though more often than not he does it himself and then I tidy up the back where he can't see! Oh, and we love taking advantage of cheap eats like Chick-fil-a Kids Night. And one way we cheat a little is we always share one soda at restaurants. Ben drinks about a hundred refills and I could just sip on one glass so it works out well.

Unknown said...

Casey has never let me cut his hair, even though I have tried for years to convince him that I'd be great at it. I am definitely using this post as leverage. :) Good work, Kali!

Anonymous said...

We always had our babies at home to save money; we figured Scott could deliver them just as well as anyone and then I could yell as loudly as I wanted. (Just kidding, of course.)

Our money saver is to go to the Y for "dates." The kids love to play in the child watch, we walk around the track and catch up, and since I work there one day a week, our membership is free.

You look very cute pregnant, by the way!
Barb Abrams

Hannah said...

Too funny - Justin and I had a similar experience when we first got married. He insisted that I was capable of cutting his hair, but I did such a bad job he has officially banned me from ever cutting it again. Now he just does it himself. How nice taht Dan gavie you a second chance;)