Friday, October 3, 2008

Some Random Thoughts on the Week

1. Moving in pieces is both a blessing and a curse. It's wonderful to have the time and the capability to do a little at a time, and it's much easier to be methodical about the process when you only have to do one room at a time (or one cabinet for that matter). But it's also exhausting! We've made more trips between the two places this week than I can count - and the next couple of days will probably double that number. BUT...I remember how overwhelmed I was when we loaded up the U-Haul in Iowa, knowing I had to get everything in that little trailer and it had to be packed well enough to make the trip all the way to Tennessee. Packing for a 15 minute drive really isn't so bad!

2. I don't function very well when I live in chaos. My brain has been as scattered as my possessions this week!

3. Paint really makes a place feel like your own. We've painted several walls in the new place, and I feel like it's starting to resemble our own personalities because of that. Our living room is now a beautiful colonial blue, and our kitchen is BRIGHT apple green (just one wall)...and I love it! (Pictures soon to follow...I brought my chord to work today...but forgot the camera. Once again...my brain is a bit scattered!)

4. I had forgotten how much I like older Switchfoot music. Last night we had one little pack of old CD's, so we pulled out "The Beautiful Letdown" and blasted it for awhile while we packed. I'm pretty sure Dan knew every word...which seemed strange to me because I never remember listening to this together. It was a bit of a glimpse into the past - before we knew each other. That's always kind of a strange feeling.

5. God is so incredibly faithful. Packing has a way of bringing back every memory you've made in a place, so we've been reminiscing a bit about the 2 1/2 years spent at Trevecca. It's amazing to look back and see how far God has brought us! We took down the curtains last night and a wave of nausea hit me as I remembered walking into our apartment for the first time - and realizing how very alone we were in Nashville. Now we're able to think about all of the wonderful friends we never would have known, all of the incredible lessons learned, and the ways God used our loneliness to bind us together in those first months of marriage...none of which would have happened if we would not have moved here. The past has a way of reminding me that God really does know what's best for me.

6. I can't wait for Sunday when we close the doors to our little Trevecca apartment and finally have everything in one place again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kali-
It's great to hear that you're doing well. Enjoy your new place-good luck with the move!

jenny said...

Love the post. I know all those feelings with moving. And I love switchfoot too! Listened to it all the time in college. Maybe I should pull my cd out soon - now where is it?? I want to see the apple green paint! I painted one wall in our living room a bright green and i love it too! i love painting...