Friday, October 17, 2008

I Had Forgotten...

How much I love this book! I stayed home from work the other day with a doozy of a cold, and since we did not yet have internet or cable hooked up in our new place, I had nothing to distract me from this fantastic story. The Great Divorce is a C.S. Lewis story about Heaven & Hell, one that I've read several times now and would probably put near the very top of my list of favorite books ever. If you've never read it, I don't want to ruin it for you, but please...go find it now. It's beautiful and thought provoking and easy to read and simply delightful.

It also reminded me how much I love Brooke Fraser and her song Shadowfeet. If you've read the book, you'll see the connections throughout. I especially love the line "But I've heard rumors of True Reality, whispers of a well-lit way." Such a beautiful picture of what we know to be true - a True Reality in Heaven that is more real than anything we could ever experience on earth! I've posted the lyrics below if you're curious:

"Shadowfeet"

Walking,stumbling on these shadowfeet
toward home,a land that i've never seen
I am changing: less and less asleep
made of different stuff than when i began
and i have sensed it all along
fast approaching is the day

[CHORUS]
when the world has fallen out from under me
I'll be found in you, still standing
when the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees
when time and space are through
I'll be found in you
Theres distraction buzzing in my head
saying in the shadows it's easier to stay
but I've heard rumours of true reality
whispers of a well-lit way

[CHORUS]
You make all things new

[CHORUS 2]

When the world has fallen out from under me
I'll be found in you, still standing
Every fear and accusation under my feet
when time and space are through
I'll be found in you


P.S. I can't figure out how to post the YouTube video right here, so it's in a post above this one if you're interested.

1 comment:

AmyBethJames said...

Yes! This goes along with another idea of Lewis's that I love - that the opposite of God is not Satan, but nothingness. That heaven is more than just the absence of evil - it is the realization of everything God intended for us from the beginning, more actual and solid than our weak human forms could possibly fathom. Beautiful.