Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Where the Sun Always Shines

We had an absolutely delightful time out in California this weekend! We were able to fly out Thursday afternoon and spend the evening with Grandma Fedorka, Uncle Mitch & Aunt Jeanne, as well as Aunt Dolly & Uncle Joe. Friday morning Uncle Mitch took us and Grandma up the mountain to Big Bear where Dan grew up. It was so cool to get to see some of the places I've always heard Dan talk about! Now I understand why he wanted to be a forest ranger in Montana :-) It was my first time in the mountains of California, and I must admit, they were a lot more "mountainous" that I realized!

That afternoon Grandma was set on buying Dan a new suit, so we headed into Redlands and found one. I'm not sure who was more excited - Dan to wear his spiffy new suit, or Grandma to see her grandson looking so handsome! I even got a few new things out of the shopping trip, too. Then we headed back to Yucaipa and out to dinner with the whole gang and even a cousin or two where they treated us to a yummy steak dinner. Then Grandma tried to feed us some of her pie when we got home - we felt like two spoiled kids by the end of that day!

Karee (Mom) & Katee drove down late Friday night so they could drive us up to San Luis Obispo (SLO) on Saturday. We enjoyed our drive back, stopping at an In-&-Out and a couple of beautiful beaches along the way. That night we roamed around SLO a bit, went and had some fabulous Mexican food, and then enjoyed the pier down at Morro Bay. Sunday we got to spend nearly the whole day at the beach, and I couldn't have been happier! Karee & I went out to Avila that morning and just visited while we soaked up some wonderful sun, then later the whole gang headed out to Dan's favorite beach, Montana de Oro. It was such a blessing to just spend time together, and as short as it was, we were really able to pack a lot in to these few days. After dome delicious tri-tip & Dennis's fabulous salsa, we packed our bags and headed back to Nashville on the last red-eye out of SLO (and I now understand the meaning of the term "red-eye" a whole lot better!), and by 10 am we were both at work. What a whirl-wind! But a wonderful & refreshing whirl-wind to say the least.

Rather than labeling all of these, I thought I'd just throw up a smattering of pictures for you all. Unfortunately, all of the pics we took with Grandma were on Uncle Mitch's camera, but there are plenty others. Enjoy!













10 comments:

jenny said...

HAhaha... that picture of Dennis is CLASSIC! Made me laugh... Gosh, just seeing all these pictures soothes my soul. The ocean is one of my favorite places... as well as the mountains - and I live in Oklahoma. Oh well. Thanks for sharing... I could imagine it all... glad you had a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

Loved it Kal. I miss Cali already! Can we go back this weekend? DAN

Jason and Anna said...

I agree with Jenny on the picture of Dennis...hilarious!! Sounds like a super fun, jam-packed trip. Looks like you had a blast with the Johnston's...they are a great fam! I'm glad that you got to enjoy our sunshine!!! On a vain note...I also like your hair, it's a super cute cut on you!

kelseylynae said...

aw looks like so much fun... next time take me. brent and I are GOING to go to Cali sometime within the next year [we have to visit the girls and boy!]

nae said you called. sorry i missed you. i may have a chance to talk tonight if i get some handouts whipped up after babysitting [and of course watching america's next top model--- yep i'm trying to revel in the beauty of still being in college the last 3 weeks that i have]

we need to talk... a lot.
love you
you hair is getting longer? or is it cut different...it confused me.

The ORourkes said...

A little jealous of the sun and sand! We're still in the 30's and 40's here in MN. As for the comment you left on our blog, your time will come! You have Schoon blood in you, don't forget! :)

Sara

Anonymous said...

Palm trees, sand, ocean.....and SNOW?! What a contrast. I'm so glad you got to go.

On another note - I want to know what the "Schoon blood" comment is all about!

Love you.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Palm trees, sand, ocean.....and SNOW?! What a contrast. I'm so glad you got to go.

On another note - I want to know what the "Schoon blood" comment is all about!

Love you.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Palm trees, sand, ocean.....and SNOW?! What a contrast. I'm so glad you got to go.

On another note - I want to know what the "Schoon blood" comment is all about!

Love you.
Mom

Anonymous said...

WOOPS! I didn't think it saved it - but I guess it did - 3 TIMES!

Mom

Liv said...

Kali, You look so good. Whoever said our prime is our teen years i think its more like our mid twenties.
Dan looks very nice in the suit, oh the beach, tommy and I really wanted to come up that weekend and see you two, but it wasnt a three day weekend and You had all your family to be with, Im really glad you had a good time!
Liv