Monday, March 24, 2008

Amazing Grace


I had a wonderful weekend which I look forward to sharing with you all, but tonight I'd rather share for a moment a few thoughts. I just finished watching the movie Amazing Grace, which I'd encourage all of you to watch if you've not yet seen it. It's really quite inspiring. I must admit that before watching the film I was really quite naive as to who exactly William Wilberforce was. He was certainly a man of great conviction and perseverance, a man who understood that God's perfect justice will ultimately prevail even while he faced the horrific injustices of the slave trade.

As I was watching this movie, I was reminded of the injustices that still exist in our present world. It is tempting to study history like this and condemn the "evil" people that stood by and let slavery continue, or worse yet, fought against abolition. But I am aware that there is currently more slavery in our world today than has ever exist at any other point in history - I'm pretty sure that includes the 1700 & 1800s. And because I am aware of that, I am responsible at some level to do something. I'm not sure what exactly that something this, but I'm sure God will reveal it to me in His perfect timing. I was quite convicted when I read this quote by Wilberforce: You may choose to look the other way but you can never again say you did not know.

I think about what we celebrated yesterday during Easter, and the Amazing Grace that we sing about which gives sight to the blind. Christ LIVES! And His heart for justice & mercy is just the same today as it was when William Wilberforce gave his life to a cause he was convinced God cared about. I pray that the Lord may guide each of us by the passion of his Holy Spirit to do his work.

2 comments:

Jason and Anna said...

Loved the post Kali. The injustices and sin that is so readily noticeable today has really been burdening me also. I really like that quote by Wilberforce...so true.

As to my posts...it is the only thing that keeps me occupied at work sometimes. I just get so bored. I really need to find a new job. :-) SLO town is not a good place though for job seekers. Oh well. So, yes...I'm a blogging maniac!!! Never thought I would be BUT...I am. And proud of it! I can be the poster child for Blogs. Maybe I can have my face on one of their advertisements. Maybe not! :-) Sorry abou the long comment!

jenny said...

I loved the movie too, Kali, and thought you look exactly like the girl in it. :-)