Wednesday, May 20, 2009

New Beginnings

I've been putting off writing this post because I'm still not quite sure how to word it without making the situation sound worse than it is. But I figured I might as well plow forward so I can get on with my blogging life :-)

This past Tuesday, I found out that GMA had decided to make some pretty drastic decisions in an effort to keep the company moving forward. Included in this was the decision to eliminate the programming department, which means that my position along with my boss's no longer exist. So as of Friday, myself along with 3 other (former) GMA employees closed the books on our time at GMA.

Great news? Not exactly. I've loved my job these past 3 years, and have especially enjoyed the people I have gotten to work with. But honestly...things could be SO much worse. As many of you know, I had already made the decision to stay home once the baby comes in September, so Dan and I had been working towards that arrangement anyway. This just speeds up the process a bit more than expecting :)

So what am I planning to do, you might ask? As of now, I am counting the time off as a blessing that I could not have experienced any other way. I have so much that I want to accomplish before baby girl makes her appearance, and in many ways this time feels like a gift that will enable me to make that happen. I've played with the idea of trying to find some sort of employment for the summer, even just part time, but the more Dan & I have talked and prayed about the options, we both feel at peace with the decision to just enjoy the time and not endure the stress of trying to find another job for such a limited amount of time.

So here I sit on this beautiful afternoon enjoying a nice breeze coming in through my window and listening to my last load of laundry whir away upstairs. For the first time in a LONG time, I don't think there is a scrap of laundry left in the hamper - and that feels great! I enjoyed lunch with a friend this afternoon without the pressure of getting to and from work in a short amount of time, and I am looking forward to having some friends over for dinner tonight -- and having more than 20 minutes to put everything together.

I have time to read, to think, to pray. I believe this is but a very brief window of time God has given me as a chance to breathe, and time that I know I will never get back. So while I am sad about the lay-off and the abrupt ending, I am also at peace, knowing God has everything under control. This was His plan all along, so I figure, I might as well enjoy the ride!

7 comments:

Katrina said...

I know why this happened...you are supposed to come to Houston to see me :) I miss you!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that, but it sounds like you've got a GREAT attitude about it! Sometimes these types of things are blessings in disguise :)

Micah Hilton said...

I am sorry you about this. But as always you have such a great and encouraging attitude. I would not expect anything less from you. Can't wait to see what a beautiful girl you will have. love you!

erin said...

Sad Kali! but what a blessing to have this time off to simply rest, relax, sit in the presence of the Lord, prepare, and spend time together with your husband before the baby comes. Cause once she's here...nothing will be the same. The Lord will provide. Enjoy it!

AmyBethJames said...

Oh, my partner in unemployment. I agree with your sentiments completely. I'm so glad for you all to have more time to prepare for Miss PJ's arrival (name I have made up for her just now, a combination of Peanut/Polly and Baby J). And think of the fun we can have! If we had to go, I'm glad we got to go together!

Anonymous said...

I tagged you for a little meme!
PS - my word verification is "funfect" which made me smile :)

meetingbetty said...

I think that Katrina has a point, I will throw out that you do a TX swing and go Houston and then Dallas. Imagine how fun.