Thursday, April 2, 2009

Storms

I love storms. I have since I was a little girl. While I respect the serious damage they can bring as well as the fear others have when they hear warning sirens and such, there's just something about stormy weather that just gets me excited. Perhaps it's the fun memories I have growing up in the Midwest, where thunderstorms and tornadoes were pretty common fare.

I can remember going out on the porch with my Grandma with the intention of huddling under a blanket with a flashlight and a book - and giggling until we could hardly breathe. We'd stay out there as long as we could stand it.

I can remember my Mom and sister scurrying down the basement steps with blankets and flashlights to wait out the tornado warnings while I drug my feet, wanting to stay upstairs with my Dad so we could "keep and eye on things." I loved to stand out on the front step with him and just take it all in, knowing I was perfectly safe since he'd send me downstairs with plenty of time to spare.

I remember craning my neck in the backseat of the car to try catch every lightening bolt that danced across the sky. Then I'd count - one one-thousand, two one-thousand - to see just how close the storm really was.

I remember one scary afternoon when I was babysitting for 5 little girls and suddenly the tornado sirens went off. Fortunately, nearly every home in Missouri is equipped with a basement, so I quickly corralled them all down the stairs and distracted them with a movie.

I remember running out into the rain in college just for fun, and ruining the lawn where we created our own slip-n-slides of mud.

And right now, I am enjoying the steady drum of rain on the windows and anticipating a nice evening at home with my husband. In fact, I just suggested we grab a blanket and book and go take it all in from our front porch.

Hope you're enjoying the weather wherever you are!

6 comments:

Mama Mote said...

That's one of the things I miss about Montana. We'd hear the thunder and just stand outside watching the lightening. Then as it got really close we would go inside and just watch the storm go by. We did this with all the staff and kids from Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch where I worked. Sometimes we would be there for activities and all of us would stop just to watch the storm come and go. Fun stuff.

katie said...

one time, when i was living with emily in chattanooga, there was this huge huge storm coming in. warnings on tv, etc. but as em+i are from the midwest, we knew it was nothing.. so we sat outside on her porch and watched the storm. it was beautiful.

it's great being from the midwest when you live in teh south. :)

AmyBethJames said...

Yeah! Let's hear it for the Midwestern girls who know not to freak the heck out every time a little thunder rumbles overhead. I guess that's what ten years of growing up in Oklahoma will prepare you for! :)

Micah Hilton said...

Happy Birthday Kali!!! May God bless your year as you become a mommy! I can hardly believe it

Kyle Bridgman said...

I'm with you, Kali. I love to hear and see the rain. Speaking of Missouri weather, last Thursday, I woke up to rain in the morning, snow covering the ground at noon and all of it had melted and it looked like a nice spring day by 5 o'clock. Hurray for Missouri!

Hannah said...

Are you going to believe me if I say that I absolutely love storms, too? I'm not sure what fascintates me about them so much -I probably should have a more healthy fear of them - but every time it rains I try to talk Justin into going and sitting on our front porch with me and watching the rain. He's usually a good sport about it:)