Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Them a lot a babies....



The last few weeks has been full of a lot of babies for me - and what could possibly be better than that?! (By the way, sorry if my title doesn't make sense...it's something my sister said when she was little and has become a common phrase among our family) Within the past few weeks we have found out that 2 of our friends are expecting - one her first, and the other her 2nd. Such exciting news! I spent yesterday evening with my sweet friend Megan (one of the expecting moms!) and her husband Alan, as well as their delightful daughter Abby who is about 14 months old. She's just at that stage where she can really GO, wobbly legs and all, and it is such a joy to watch her stomp around with such determination. She's also really learned how to laugh now, and there's nothing better than hearing those little squeals and and the pure belly laugh that follows!

After the exciting news of these 2 new babies, a friend of mine from work delivered her first on Friday. I was so excited to meet the new little one that Dan graciously gave in and came with me to the hospital on Saturday to see new mommy & daughter. There really is nothing quite like holding a tiny newborn - except maybe when it's your own, but it's not quite my turn yet!! Tonight I got to go see them again as I brought some food over to their house -- in exchange, of course, for holding the baby again for quite sometime :)

In the midst of all of this excitement though, we are also grieving with some dear friends of ours who just went through their second miscarriage. It's so strange how this world that we live in can contain such stark contrast. I'm reminded of this verse - "Even in laughter the heart may ache, and joy may end in grief." (Prov. 14:13) How is it that our soul is to hold all of these conflicting emotions - and sometimes, even at the same time? My heart breaks over the loss for my friends, and yet rejoices at the same time for the new lives we are celebrating. Is it possible in this lifetime to ever experience true joy that is completely untainted by the sorrows of this fallen world? That sounds synical perhaps, but it makes me ever more grateful for the promises of Heaven and a Re-created and Redeemed world that will be greater than anything we can possibly imagine with our finite minds. In this world of contradiction, unrealized dreams, and hosts of disappointment, I find incredible HOPE in the promise of a new life to come that will be void of all of these things and utterly filled with the presence and Holiness of God.

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. and I heard a loud voice from the thron saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. he will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away...I am making everything new!" (Revelation 21:1-5)

...and I'm pretty sure there will be babies in Heaven, too :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful wife. I have been thinking about similar things. How in this life we are able to experience such extreme and drastic emotions and circumstances, and we have the ablity to do so, and then at the same time we are called to cling to a God who never changes or has any turning.

Love ya

me

jenny said...

Okay, I totally just had a dream last night that Dan wrote us a letter telling us you were pregnant, again! I don't really know what the "again" meant, because Trav and I couldn't remember you having other kids, but you guys were going to have a girl and Trav thought it was so funny. I think I owe the dream to this post. :-)

Kali said...

That's hilarious! I think it's really funny that he told you by letter...I mean, come on, it's 2008! Weird.

Glad my blog is inspiring dreams :-)

Anonymous said...

Can you guess who this is? Just wanted to say I love you and I know you love to see comments on your blogs.
Talk to you soon

Me (Dan)