Friday, March 25, 2011

Home

This word has taken on different meanings over the years.  Dorm rooms, apartments, small town, city, friends, family, Dan & Caroline.  But there is one sense of the word that has remained constant for as long as I can remember - and that's where I am now.  HOME.  Mom & Dad.  Home cooked meals.  Peace & quiet, filled with bird chirps and frog songs and little else.  Curling up on the couch under a warm blanket, listening to my Dad tell a story and laughing with my sister (at Dad's story).  Rubbing my Mom's feet -- and then switching.

Sure, parts of "home" have changed over the years -- but mostly just good parts.  A husband to share my family with.  A brother-in-law to round us out.  A Caroline to capture the hearts and attentions of everyone.  But no matter how old I get, nothing can transport me back to my childhood faster than waking up to the morning sounds of Mom & Dad downstairs.  It's almost enough to make me forget that my own daughter is sleeping in a crib across the room...almost.

Of course, home is also now in Nashville with my Dan & CJ.  A home we're creating for our own children, one which I can only pray will someday bring the same sense of peace to them that this place still holds for me.

Just thought you all should know where I was while away from blog land for a few days :)

1 comment:

Brandon and Whitney Nall said...

I agree, Kal...there is truly no place like home!!