Saturday, January 22, 2011

Apologies & A New Venture

Okay, so I'm mostly going to skip over the fact that I have blogged about 2 whole times in the last month in a half. I just haven't been feeling it, you know? That, and I've tried to upload Christmas pictures FOUR TIMES (literally), spending far too much time each time, and each time Blogger has refused to cooperate. So at this point, I think I'm going to skip Christmas pictures...or post them sporadically throughout the next few weeks...and just move on with my blogging life. I do hope you'll understand. If I don't, I may never blog again.

Secondly, I have obviously been searching for some blogging inspiration as of late. The photo challenge just didn't get me quite as excited as I had hoped. So I'm moving on to something else.

This time of year always makes me a bit nostalgic for another January in a snowier place, back when the Caf was in charge of my meal-planning and someone else scrubbed my bathroom for me. The year was 2004, and I was a sophomore at a small Christian college in NW Iowa. Life was good, but that semester, it suddenly and surprisingly became even better.

Over the next "while" (because I don't know how long this will take), I will be posting my very own love story in numerous installments for your reading pleasure. I promise to still do "normal" posts with pictures of Caroline and everyday life here in TN, but meanwhile, find yourself a comfy spot and a good cup of coffee...because this could take awhile :)


Part I: Introductions...again

Gazing into the trunk of my 1990 Honda Accord, I carefully examined the contents my Dad had just helped load. Suitcase full of clean clothes – check. Newly acquired snow boots from Christmas – check. Extra blanket, coveralls, and emergency pop-out shovel – check. I was ready for my post-Christmas wintry trek back to Iowa.

Slamming the trunk closed, I turned back to the house for one last good-bye. Leaving home was still hard, even though I was entering my 4th semester of college. I hugged my sister, now a senior in high school, who lamented my pile of clothes leaving nearly as much as me. My Dad rattled off some more safety instructions for my 5 hour drive North as he squeezed me, and Mom's eyes glistened as she said again what a wonderful Christmas it had been. By the time I made it to the driver's seat, my car was toasty warm and ready to go. It was hard to leave home, but it would be good to get back to my friends and my dorm at college.

I loved college. Every last bit of it. I mean, what's not to love about living with your best friends with lots of freedom and very little responsibility? Okay so there was class to attend and papers to write, but being the nerd that I was, I actually liked that part, too. So the fact that I had to return a few days early for this semester was no big deal for me. I was part of the Campus Ministries Team that year and our winter planning retreat was scheduled for the weekend before classes resumed, so as soon as I made it back to my dorm room and unpacked my suitcase, I repacked a smaller duffel bag and headed right back out into the frozen tundra of Iowa. Little did I know that a simple weekend retreat was just about to change the course of my life entirely.

My friends and I chatted easily as we made our way to the hotel, catching up on Christmas break. There were a couple other sophomore girls on the Campus Ministries Team, and we tended to stick together for these events. Most of the team was comprised of upperclassmen, and I was still prone to a little intimidation in such company. Once we checked in and found our room, we quickly changed to join the rest of the group in the pool. I loved to swim, but I was not exactly looking forward to donning a bathing suit in January with my pasty-white, not-so-in-shape body.

As we walked into the pool room, I surveyed the group to see who was there and who wasn't. It looked like it was mostly guys at the moment. Great. The other girls must have felt the same way I did about the bathing suit situation. Then I realized the hot-tub was filled with girls, so I started making my way over. Except...oh, there was one guy in there.

“Hey, is that Dan Johnston in the hot tub? What's he doing here? I don't remember him being on the team last semester,” my friend questioned as we continued that direction.

“Oh yeah, I forgot he was joining at semester. I think he had to wait until football season was over or something. My roommate had mentioned that to me. He seems like a nice guy.”

My roommate, Shelby, had mentioned that to me, among other things about this guy. They were both biology majors and had spent a lot of time together in the fall as study partners. She was convinced I needed to meet him, he was so great, blah blah blah. I mean, it wasn't that I didn't believe her – in fact, I totally believed every word she said. He seemed to be every bit as wonderful as she made him out to be. But he also seemed a bit (or a lot, depending on the day) “out of my league” so to speak.

It was also the fact that I had spent the Fall semester in a Sunday school class with him every week, and he had introduced himself – several times – never remembering me from the time before. “Hey, I'm Dan. I don't think we've met – what was your name?” “Kali. I'm Shelby's roommate – she's mentioned that you guys study together,” and so it went each time. Maybe the guy just wasn't good with names. Whatever the case, I didn't give it much thought after that. Or at least I tried not to.

By the time we made it to the hot tub, Dan had jumped out to join the rest of the guys in the pool. The girls seemed disappointed he left, but I was glad at least this small piece of the room was not co-ed at the moment. I slipped out of my towel and into the warm water. Pretty soon, there was a knock at the outdoor entrance to the pool room. I glanced up and realized with surprise that it was Shelby (who was not in Campus Ministries) and quickly grabbed my towel. I ran over to let her in and was nearly knocked over when Dan beat me to the door.

“I'm so sorry!” he turned to me after he had let Shelby in. “What are you doing here, Shelb? And how do you two know each other?” he said with confusion on his face.

“We're roommates” we said in unison, I with a bit of exasperation in my voice I'm sure. Hadn't we been over this before?

“And I just got into town and wanted to say hello since I knew you guys would be here. Most people won't get back to campus until tomorrow-” Shelby continued until Dan cut in again.

“Oooooh. You're Shelby's roommate,” he interrupted, with sudden understanding registering on his face. “You're on the summer mission team, too, aren't you?”

I gave a sideways glance to Shelby, wondering what all she had told this guy and why it was just now clicking for him. “Yep, that's me. I'm headed to Bosnia in May.”

“Gotcha! Well, it's nice to officially meet you. Shelb, it's great to see you girl! See you in Advanced Chem!” and with that, he ran back towards the pool and jumped in, making sure to splash as many of the surrounding guys as possible.

I considered my dripping-wet self for a second, and felt my cheeks flush. Of all the times for Dan Johnston to actually take notice of me, did this really have to be it?

5 comments:

jenny said...

Love it! :-) I'm excited to hear your side of the story of how you met. And maybe he noticed you then BECAUSE you were in a bathing suit. ;-)

Sharon said...

This is exciting. I can't wait to hear what happens next!

Anonymous said...

Hey now. I'm pretty sure I made that ride back to school after Christmas with you that year! That's when we had New Year's with Kan-dawg! Remember? :)
- Megan

anna said...

hahaha. awesome. :) i'm excited for what's next.

kelseylynae said...

Good job.
Maybe I'll finish the story I started. Keep going! I want to know what happens to the pasty white girl :)

And let's talk soon?