Friday, August 27, 2010

Tidbits

I have several random odds & ends I've thought about sharing on the blog lately and just haven't gotten around to doing it. So here are a few tidbits from my life lately, in no particular order:

1) Katie & I had so much fun when she and Piper came to visit for a few days at the beginning of the month. Katie is one of those precious life-long friends who, regardless of time and life that happens between visits, is always comfortable to just pick up wherever we last left off. We grew up across the street from one another and our parents practically raised us and our 2 sisters all together. It is CRAZY that we're now raising our own little girls together, who are just 6 days apart in age. We had such a good time together, spent way too much time shopping with two babies, and both decided that we could never handle twins :-)

Just before we walked out the door to go back to the airport, we realized we didn't have a single picture of the two of us - so here's our one and only attempt. There is just too much else to think about with these two yahoos!



Piper shared one of her bows with Caroline. She just can't quite pull if off like Piper, though!


Thanks for making the trip, ladies! We had so much fun and can't wait for our next visit!

Tidbit #2: Caroline's favorite pastime these days seems to be making big messes! She LOVES to pull things out of containers, so we try to keep things accordingly accessible/inaccessible.

This is what my house ends up looking like most days. This was before 8am!


Another example - emptying Papa's magazines & newspapers on our last trip to Missouri. She doesn't stop until she reaches the bottom!


3) Last week, we trecked over to the largest county fair in Tennessee. Dan has a particular fondness for county fairs, and I have come to enjoy them myself over the years. He was especially excited to bring Caroline to her first ever, so we had the date on the calendar for weeks. We had a great time, Caroline got to see lots of animals up close and personal (which she had very mixed feelings about), and Mommy & Daddy were able to take in enough fried food to sufficiently clog our arteries for quite some time. All were happy and exhausted at the end of the evening!










4) We're working on the transition to table food these days. It's quite exciting for Caroline, and rather stressful for mom. I'm struggling with ideas of what to feed the kid (who is quite finicky, inspite of my greatest efforts to make her eat or at least try a little bit of everything), and the process just seems to take F.O.R.E.V.E.R.. Does it really take 30 minutes to eat one little scrambled egg? But there are good parts, like when I can throw a handful of cheerios on her tray and let her go at them while I make dinner. I do like that.
One thing we are especially working on right now is learning not to throw food on the floor. Why is it that they learn to throw the food so naturally, but learning the opposite...not coming quite so easily. Any tips from you veteran moms out there? I've taught her the sign language for "all done," which seems to be helping, but I'm very open to other ideas :)
Perhaps it would help if she wasn't so darn cute while getting her bald little self into trouble!

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Stalking your blog again! I hadn't had my Caroline fix yet today. Love the cowgirl outfit! And she can come and mess my house up anytime she wants!

DPJ said...

Love it honey!
Thanks for all the pics. Such a pick-me-up at work!

Megan said...

She is too cute and that is what my house looks like on a daily basis now. I wear myself out trying to keep stuff of the floor!! Word of warning though, look out for the trashcan phase (when they love throwing things in the trash). We lost a set of car keys during that phase!! Miss you!

jenny said...

Love her cowgirl boots!!

The food - hmmm.... Bella was always a great eater, but I remember it taking long at times. It does get faster the better they get at it. I'm in the stage where it's just faster for me to feed her with a spoon than let herself do it... but I need to let her try.

But... Bella DID throw food and I hated it! Especially since our eating area is on carpet! So, we tried to nip that in the bud, by firmly saying "No" and flicking the top of her hand every time she did it. Took some time, but she eventually got it and now I SOOO love that she has [somewhat] good manners when we visit restaurants. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh Kali, as I'm reading your blog it seems like just a few months ago that Caralena was doing that and only a few months to go until Mally starts. Yikes!!!! How quickly you forget all that "stuff." I certainly remember Caralena throwing food on the floor as you probably do too. They do eventually grow out of it but we just told her no over and over and over and eventually she got it. She still does it every now and then just to test us.
Yes, at this stage it just takes forever and I know you'll want to do it yourself but be patient. If you have somewhere to go just do it but let her try as much as possible or let her do it herself for table food and then finish up with some baby food to make sure she gets enough. These are just some tidbits of advice from one mommy to another. Blessings

Barb said...

Oh, the boots - they suit her!

Mama Mote said...

I can't believe that such a cute little girl like that can make SUCH a BIG mess! Wow! That is so funny - I can say that now that I have no kids in the house anymore. :) love you

Brent said...

DAN! your new adrinaline shoes are cute too :) The gray and red would have been my choice too.