Thursday, June 3, 2010

Great Grandma Schoon

I'm still playing catch-up here, but I have some pictures that just can't be missed. As I mentioned earlier, I was finally able to introduce Caroline to my Grandma Schoon when we were in Iowa a few weeks ago. I had made plans to make the trip up during Christmastime, but due to blizzards and some crazy-cold weather (I believe it reached -30* the day I was supposed to travel), I had to cancel my trip North. Needless to say, I was thankful to have the chance to finally get up there.


Not to brag, but my Grandma is quite the lady (it's ok to brag if it's about your grandma, right?). She grew up on a farm in NW Iowa, watched and prayed as her fiance was shipped off to war for 4 years (WWII), then married him as soon as he returned and promptly had 8 children in 11 years. They were in church every Sunday, filling an entire pew I'm sure, and I can still hear my Grandpa's deep gravely voice saying the Lord's prayer with more sincerity and solemnity than I've ever heard before or since. Breakfast at Grandma & Grandpa's house always consisted of homemade bread & jam, apple juice and morning devotions. Her faith has always been sure and unwavering.


Her family of 10 has multiplied as you can only imagine. Today she has 20 grandchildren (not counting our spouses), 31 great-grandchildren, and even 1 great-great-grandchild.


Grandma turned 90 last month. After suffering with glacoma for years, she is now totally blind and her general health is failing. It simply does not seem like my grandma sitting in the wheelchair in that nursing home...the same one I used to walk to with her to visit her mother. But God blessed us with a few precious moments together while we were there, moments I will cherish forever. Though her arms have held and loved countless babies over the years, it blessed me beyond measure to see her hold my baby and smile. Caroline was exceptionally mellow and sat on her lap and just stared up at her for a long time, studying her face. Though Grandma expressed a sadness over not being able to see her, she smiled when mom asked if she remembered what I looked like as a baby.


"Oh yes, I remember."

"She looks an awful lot like that," mom said. "With a lot of Dan mixed in there, too."


Before too long, mom had Caroline giggling, and I saw a smile slowly spread across Grandma's face. Softly, I heard her said, "Grandpa, you're missing something."


I'm not exactly sure how Heaven works, but I know that Grandpa is probably enjoying lots of babies' giggles from there!


It is an understatement to say that I am grateful for the legacy my family has handed down to me. It is who I am. And as I relished these precious few moments together, I gave thanks that this is now Caroline's legacy as well.






4 Generations


9 comments:

Aunt Linda said...

Thank you, Kali. Such precious pictures and beautiful words. It made me cry, but it's a good cry. I love you!

kelseylynae said...

As if I haven't cried enough lately...

but thanks. So glad Grandma got to meet sweet Caroline :-)

Angilee Claire said...

I love this post! such neat pictures that no doubt will be forever treasured! I really love the hands one! happy you had such a special visit!!

Mama Mote said...

Kali, this is so amazing. Your grandma looks like a beautiful woman and the four of you together is awesome. The third picture is so cute; it looks like Caroline is trying to listen to your grandma. Thanks for sharing these precious shots...a gift from God for sure.

Kandi said...

I am balling sitting at my desk at work! What a beautiful set of pictures...4 generations of such amazingly strong women...Caroline is one lucky lady!

Barb said...

Oh, the memories. We are very blessed with Grandma Schoon. She went sledding with me behind the barn one time...spunky lady.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, Kali. We have all been blessed because of our heritage. Thanks for putting it in words for us. I know that Grandma Schoon enjoyed that visit - and that Grandpa would have loved Caroline just as much as he loved all his grandchildren and greats! I hope I get to meet Caroline someday too!!
Love to you all, Aunt Lois

Megan said...

You have an amazing family Kali and you are doing a great job of carrying on that legacy of strong, faithful women. Love the picture....as always.

DPJ said...

Awesome post kal. So glad i got to share in those moments with Caroline and her.