Tuesday, April 20, 2010

In the Genes

One of the great question marks during pregnancy is what exactly the final product is going to look like. I can remember having dreams about our unborn child last year, from the sweet to the totally bizarre, but no matter what the dream I could never quite make out what exactly she looked like...or even what I thought she looked like. Would she have Dan's fine, straight hair or my thick, curly locks? My blue eyes or his hazel? His cute dimples? My earlobe-less ears? Would she really even look like either of us (a question particularly puzzling to me, as I grew up thinking I didn't really look like anyone in my family)?

I studied both of our features and endlessly wondered. Then, when we finally met our sweet Caroline in September, we both took in every tiny newborn trait, trying to determine what looked like who and continuously changing our minds. Everyone always asks of a new baby, "Who does she look more like?" Or they have an opinion of their own, declaring "She looks JUST like Daddy!" etc.

I think that Caroline is truly a combination of the two of us. It makes me smile everyday as God reminds me - visibly - that he has made 1 life out of 2 for Dan and me. One of His many mysterious miracles that He allows us to enter into.

Just for fun, I wanted to hang baby pictures of Dan and myself in Caroline's nursery - a "project" I decided on before she was born and just completed last week. My name is Kali and I am a procrastinator. Anyway, I thought you might enjoy seeing these as well. Is it any wonder our child is round and bald?





So I'd really like to know - what do you think? Do you see more of Mommy or Daddy?

7 comments:

jenny said...

I don't know!! She is just so darn adorable. Seriously - one of THE cutest kids. :-) That's the beauty of an individual person, though. At some points, I definitely see one person, where at others I see the other. :-) And then most of the time, I just see beautiful little Caroline.

kelseylynae said...

your smile.
dan's forehead/eyes.

dan's arm rolls.

my wonderful personality.

Sharon said...

I know I see both but I think the Daddy genes are pretty strong in the "looks" department. But she is like a clone of you in her disposition. And honestly, who cares?!! I just hope her hair doesn't grow in spikey!

PS Kelsey must be on drugs!

Aunt Linda said...

OK - I just showed Alan your picture (just yours) and asked him who it was. No hesitation at all - "Caroline." So, there you have it.

I'll be sending that little costume this week - promise!

Anonymous said...

She has a smile that could only be inspired by a drink of Lost Creek.

Jessica said...

You are so right. You and Dan do kind of look alike - sort of creepy. No really, I think she looks a tad more like you from your baby pictures but seeing her in person I would say she looks more like Dan now, if that makes any sense. She has Dan's nose. She is just a good mix. She's Caroline Harper Johnston!

Mitch said...

Grandpa A.J.!