Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Decaf?

In case I haven't made it clear, I have a fabulous husband. Oh sure, he's crazy and a bit extreme at times, but he's also an extremely capable person - a trait that makes my life much easier. I don't have time to make dinner? No big deal - he'll whip something up himself. Behind on laundry? No problem, he'll throw a few loads in. He may not (read: does not) do things the way I would, but I've learned to let go a bit and simply appreciate his contributions rather than doing everything myself so that it's up to my standards (because that's the other option...he doesn't particularly enjoy my bossing him around). I mean, who REALLY cares if the towels are folded in perfect thirds as long as they're folded? I only go back and re-fold every once in awhile...but don't tell Dan ;-)

Anyway, that's a long "aside" to get to my real story about last night. Dan's always more than willing to take Caroline for a bit to allow me a little "me time," something that I'm learning is important but difficult to come by as a stay-at-home mom (and I'm sure something that only becomes more scarce as time goes on...). Yesterday evening I was a bit crabby and just really wanting to get out of the house, so Dan shooed me out. He and Caroline are rather inseparable these days when he's home, so he was happy to get some Daddy-daughter time as well, and I'm sure he was just fine with getting rid of a crabby wife for awhile!

I had saved a little birthday money for just such an occasion (thanks Mom!), so I headed down the road to the nearest Starbucks, book & journal tucked away in my oversized purse. Jumping in the car with only myself and a purse is a sort of treat in itself - no carseat, no blanket, no diaper bag, no craning my arm behind the seat at a stop light to try and reach the pacifier. In moments my senses were filled with the aroma of lattes and funky music like is only played at Starbucks. I was excited. I made my selection carefully, landing on a caramel machiatto, decaf. As I waited for my delicious treat, I looked around the room and took in a rather large group that had gathered, occupying nearly every chair. The only available seating left was a long booth between two strangers. Pass. I peaked outside only to discover that the umbrellas were closed and the mist was turning into more of a cold drizzle. Pass again.

I took my latte and returned to my car, disappointed and rather miffed at that large group that decided it was okay to take up every last inch of available seating. Who did they think they were? Didn't they know that this was MY night? I headed across the street to see if I could find somewhere to plop down. There were two tables outside a Quizno's, and even though it was cold and drizzly, these were at least under an awning so I decided it would have to do. I grabbed my book, deciding the journal would take too much brain power, and grabbed a seat. The location was distracting with cars coming and going, so I didn't think I'd last long.

But then, I started reading. (And, of course, sipping my deliciously warm latte.) You know how some books start off slow and take awhile to really draw you in? That was not the case with this one. After reading a recommendation by my friend Jenny, I picked this book up at the library the other day: "The Guersney Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." And it's as delightful and charming as Jenny promised.

I got chilly once my coffee cooled off, so I headed home early and took a nice long HOT bath (Caroline was already in bed - good work Daddy!) and continued reading. It was blissful. The crabbiness dissipated somewhere between the lack of seating and the 5th page of my book, although Dan still seemed to avoid me when I returned. Can't say that I blame him. But once I was sufficiently pruney, I returned downstairs and started raving to Dan about my evening.

It was then I realized that I had a problem. It was getting late. I should be crashing in every sense of the word. Instead, I was on some sort of sensory overload. We went to bed. Dan threatened to tickle me if I wouldn't shut-up (a very serious threat in my book), so I rolled over and stared at the wall. My new friends were calling to me from the pages, so I slipped back downstairs and read into the wee hours of the morning, something I haven't done since becoming a mom for obvious, sleep-deprived reasons.

I'm pretty sure they missed my over-emphasized DECAF request when I ordered. My jittery hands confirmed it. That, mixed with the high of a good book and a little time to myself was the perfect elixir to keep me up well past my usual bedtime!

I wanted to be upset with the barista that had taken my order, who was too busy searching out a Red Bull for herself over the headset to really pay me much mind. But when I pulled out my receipt, I realized I had been given one more gift for the night...a FREE coffee! I had given her cash to reload my gift card which I then wanted to pay with, but after adding the money to the balance, she must have forgotten to charge me.

Or it was just a mean joke to give me a fully-caffeinated beverage at 8pm, so she figured she shouldn't charge me.

Either way, as I finally dozed off very early this morning, I decided I'll probably thank her if I ever run into her again. It was a delightful evening/night, and one that would have been cut short were it not for a little extra caffeine.

And that, my friends, was a very long story that should have been written last night when I had a bit more brain capacity. This morning I'm feeling a bit sluggish for some reason...perhaps I should head back down to Starbucks.

3 comments:

jenny said...

Oh I'm so happy you're loving the book. :-) Makes me want to go back and read it again. I just might. Tell Juliette "hi" for me.

Angilee Claire said...

So glad you had a great evening! Hope to see you and your family soon!

Angilee

Anonymous said...

I love how God works those small details out, lesson learned right? It sounds like a charming book. You are such a great writer and I so enjoy reading your posts. And yes, me time is very important, especially when you have children. Don't ever feel guilty for taking care of yourself. I am also reminding myself.