Friday, February 19, 2010

Motherhood


My dear daughter,

Before I had you, I thought about how hard it would be to become a Mom.

Everyone told me about how much I'd have to give up.

Sleep, dates, alone time, shopping for myself, even showers some days.

Becoming a mother meant sacrifice.

And there are days when the laundry and diapers and nursing totally exhaust me.

Many days.

But then I hear you wake up from your nap.

I hear you happily talking to yourself with that sweet little voice, and the sound warms my soul.

I peak into your crib and you smile with your whole being -

just because you see ME.

It's in that moment that the word "sacrifice" disappears from my vocabularly.

What I've done for you pales in comparison to what you do for me each and every day,

every time you smile from head to toe at the sound of my voice,

every time your tiny little hand finds my own

every time you lay your sweet little head against me.

I've done nothing for you, my child.

You have done EVERYTHING for me.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, tears leaking out at work again. lol. You hit it right on the head. Only after I became a mother did I understand that "sacrifice" wasn't
"sacrifice" if you actually minded doing it. Great post!

Sharon said...

Ah, and now you know how I feel about you.

jenny said...

You have one extremely CUTE daughter. I've been feeling an overwhelming amount of love for my daughter too recently. God is so good to us.

kelseylynae said...

beautiful.

save these for her.

did you know i wrote her a note and tucked it into the back of the canvas i painted her?

DPJ said...

I agree wifie! So true and beautiful. Our daughter is so blessed to have a mother who loves, adores, snuggles, holds, kisses... and prays like you do for her. Enjoy her today...you are doing an eternal work every min and every diaper!

BChambers said...

This melted my heart...so true!!:)