Monday, November 17, 2008

Where Does the Time Go?

This past week just disappeared. Dan went to Iowa last weekend for a friend's wedding up in South Dakota and got to see all sorts of dear friends from college. I was only a little bit jealous that he got to go and I stayed here, but I tried to make the most of it. That is until I came down with this dang cold. I hate colds. I woke up last Sunday feeling like I'd been run over by a truck. So I stayed home, curled up on the couch, and read nearly all day.

Dan got home Sunday night, but Monday I felt worse than the day before and decided I just couldn't handle a day at the office. Day #2 at home on the couch with a book. Not too shabby. What did I read, you might ask? This delightful book:

It's a memoir written about her spiritual journey - from her Jewish upbringing split between her non-practicing Jewish father and lapsed Baptist mother (who divorced early on), through her decision to become an orthodox Jew, and eventually to Christ drawing her to himself in very unconvential ways. She writes about the beauty of litergy and religious calendars and the ways in which she is able to draw from her Jewish heritage as she begins her new life as a Christian. It's a beautiful book, and not only did it remind me that Christianity looks different on different people, it also challenged me to think about my faith intellectually - something I've rarely been challenged to do since college.

Thanks for loaning me the book, Kelsey!

Just a few thoughts for this morning and a little catch up from last week. I'll try and get back on track this week - now if I could just shake this dumb cold.

No comments: