Monday, February 25, 2008

A Splendid Book

I just finished reading this book last week and had to tell you all about it. It's absolutely fantastic! It's a novel that unfolds over nearly 4 decades in Afghanistan and follows the lives of 2 women whose stories become inextricable. I learned a great deal about the political climate of Afghanistan from the 1970s to the Soviet take-over in the 80's, to the terrible civil war in the 90's, the horrific reign of the Taliban at the turn of the century, and finally the U.S. "invasion" that has finally lead to a bit of peace, fragile though it may be. The (fictional) story of these women is both heart-breaking and inspiring -- and I know that sounds cliche, but I really mean it! If you haven't already, please get your hands on a copy of this book. You won't be sorry.

Now I MUST find a copy of the Kite Runner (another book by Hosseini - probably more well-known) -- I can't hardly stand to think that it might be as good as this one :-)

2 comments:

Jason and Anna said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I think that I will read that book after my current one...which I am almost half way through. Gotta love getting paid to read. Wow, I should find a new job! :-)

jenny said...

Oh I definately read that one in a day and LOVED it!! Gosh... so so so good. And Kite Runner is just as good! Enjoy!