Saturday, November 10, 2007

Grandma's House

It's late, but just wanted to get something written down while it's still fresh. I've been at my Aunt Lois & Uncle Bob's house these past couple of days, which has also become Grandma's home for the time being. It's strange to be in a place I've never been before (they recently built a new home), and yet be surrounded by memories and the feeling of being at "home" that can only come from being with family. As my Grandma sat in her recliner - well, it was always Grandpa's chair, really - she rubbed my hand and told me stories about the faces that filled the photo album I looked at. The photo album she had once made for her mother, so the names and faces of my great grandparents and great aunts & uncles, and even a few great-greats every now and then. And though she can't see their faces anymore, she still remembers all the stories.

When bedtime came tonight, I sat at the foot of Grandma's bed while Aunt Lois read to her from the Psalms. I think Aunt Lois usually prays, but tonight I was nominated. We folded our hands, and as the words spilled from my mouth, my mind was meanwhile asking for the strength to get through this prayer without tears. As I finished and the "Amens" were said in agreement, Grandma squeezed my hand and in a quivery voice said, "These are precious times." All I could manage was a whispered "yes," and I was thankful that she couldn't see the tears spilling down my cheeks. These are precious times indeed.

As I finish this now, I hear the old grandfather clock chiming upstairs - yet another sure sign that I am at Grandma's house. I think the clock was given to my Great-Grandparents (Grandma's mother & father) as a wedding gift...if I'm remembering the story correctly. And now that clock will continue faithfully chiming on the hour (actually, it's every fifteen minutes) here at my Aunt Lois's as Grandma moves back to Sibley at the end of this month. She said to me today that she'd really like that to stay in the family for "a few more generations". Considering she had children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren roaming around this house today, I don't think that will be a problem!

I don't mean to spend so much time talking about an old clock, but somehow that clock has become a symbol to me of my heritage. Much like this clock will be faithfully wound, dusted, and cared for, the faith of my great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents has been cultivated and protected over the years that it might be in good shape to be passed on to the next generation. I am eternally grateful for the legacy that has been passed on to me through my family, and especially Grandma Schoon. I pray that I may be a part of extending this same wealth of faith to yet another generation.

2 comments:

Aunt Linda said...

Kali,
Precious time with grandma. Precious story....thanks for sharing it with us.
Love, Aunt Linda

jenny said...

Hello dearie,
I'm so glad you've blogged... it really is a wonderful way to keep up with people's lives on a day to day basis (or maybe more like week to week). Love you much, Kali... say hi to Dan for us.
Jenny