Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pregnancy update

Believe it or not, this Friday will mark 32 weeks of pregnancy for this lady.  I believe it.  My toes have disappeared.  I realize I haven't mentioned it quite so much on the blog this time around, so I thought it might be time for a good old fashioned update.

For starters, I'm doing pretty well.  My doctor's appointments have gone well, I'm measuring right on track, and the baby seems to be growing just like she's supposed to!  There's nothing better than hearing that fast, strong little heart beat as soon as my Doc slathers my belly with jelly and sticks the Doppler on.  I could listen to that all day long.  And the scale has yet to hit that 900 lbs mark like it did in a recent dream of mine, so that's good news :)

One not-so-fun side effect I've been dealing with this time around is varicose veins.  Fortunately they aren't really a cause for any concern, but unfortunately they're rather unsightly, not to mention these suckers hurt!  So my Doc recommended compression stockings.  Awesome.  They're terribly hot and uncomfortable (and darn near impossible to get on!), but they do seem to be helping, so it's worth it.  Mostly :-)

I had the typical second round of blood work a few weeks ago, where they do a glucose screen.  Fortunately my glucose levels were great, but my iron count...not so much.  My iron levels were low at the beginning of my pregnancy when they did the first round of blood work, so I've been taking iron supplements since then.  Unfortunately my counts had still decreased by a few points, so they upped my iron intake to twice a day.  Not a huge concern, but I definitely don't want it to continue dropping.  Plus, the iron supplements have some...ahem...side effects that aren't so fun.  Side effects which are helped along by lots of extra fiber if you catch my drift (sorry if that's an over-share...I just like to stick to the facts, folks).

A fun and delicious way to get a little extra fiber is through smoothies, so Dan has been helping  me in this endeavor by prepping lots of fruit and veggies for me in the mornings.


All I have to do is add a little juice & yogurt and fire up the blender!  Isn't he wonderful? 


Caroline doesn't seem to mind the new-and-improved diet:

Mmmm.....here's Mama's.  I think the baby enjoys it, too!
This glass was much prettier than me in all my morning glory...you're just going to have to take my word on this one.
 So there you have it.  Only (roughly) 8 more weeks to go before we meet this sweet baby girl.  My arms are getting rather anxious to hold her!

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Isn't it amazing how God knows to leave just enough room in those arms (and your heart) for the next one? You think they're completely full with sweet Caroline but then.....oh my! Sweet No. 2!! I can't wait.

DPJ said...

I need a smoothe! Love you Kal. 32 weeks ! Crazy!!!

Anonymous said...

That kid even smiles for the camera while she's working on a smoothie! Glad your doing ok. Keep plugging.
Love you guys.
Dad

Unknown said...

hey Kali,
I'm Katrina's sister, she gave me the address to your blog so I could see your sweet little girl after she was born.
My iron was low with my pregnancy too. I had a midwife and she recommended an iron supplement called Floradix. It's a liquid so it is very easily absorbed (meaning it works better than pills). Also it dosen't have any side effects (it won't make you constipated- yea!) and it is safe. It is almost impossible to overdose on. Just thought you might want to try it or at least talk to your doc about trying something different. It is a little expensive I think I paid $30 for a bottle that lasted a month, but I think it's totally worth it!