Monday, May 3, 2010

Unreal

I have never seen more rain in my entire life than I have seen this weekend. And that isn't even close to an exaggeration. I just saw on the news this morning that Nashville received 28% of our typical YEARLY rainfall in the past 48 hours. And the images I continue to see on our local news stations (that have been airing nonstop for the past 2 days) confirm that this amount of water can do a staggering amount of damage in no time. It is absolutely unreal.

Dan and I (and Caroline of course) have stayed high and dry this weekend as we live atop a large hill, but we have not gone anywhere since Friday because we are litterally surrounded by water. I don't know what you've seen on the national news (for those of you who aren't in the Nashville area), but we live near the Antioch area they continue to mention, where they happened to catch on video an elementary school portable floating down the interstate (this is about 5 minutes from our house):

We are very thankful to have been spared any sort of damage, but this morning we're concerned for our friends who were not so fortunate. Please pray for the people of Nashville and the surrounding areas as we now shift gears from rescue missions (which still continue this morning) to putting the pieces back together. Many families are going to be impacted for years to come by the devastation.

2 comments:

jenny said...

This is crazy, Kali! I haven't even heard of the rain in Nashville! I'm glad you guys are safe.

jenny said...

K, I feel like a doofus now, b/c now I'm seeing news EVERYWHERE about your flooding. Gosh, I'm glad you guys are safe, but HOW SCARY!! I'm guessing Dan isn't going into work?