Thursday, July 9, 2009

Lessons from Dad

Okay, so I've been neglecting the blog a bit lately. Partly, I really don't have too much exciting news to report. But - I am headed home! Dan & I are headed out this afternoon as soon as he gets off work and will be on the steps of the State Capitol tomorrow morning for my Dad's graduation from the Missouri State Highway Patrol Academy. For those of you who don't know, he has been working his way through the Academy since January - and 6 months is a very long time when you're pushing your body to the limits and away from home to boot. I'm so proud of my Dad and can't wait to see him decked out in his new uniform in the morning. In honor of his graduation, I thought I'd bring you a few more pictures from the archives of dear old dad...

You've taught me many life lessons, Dad, and today I want to thank you for a few of those:


You taught me the value of a a good nap - which is especially important to me lately.

You taught me the importance of playing hard - which has allowed me to keep up with a rather energetic husband, and I can only suspect has prepared me a bit for parenthood.

You instilled in me a love for sports - particularly the Kansas City Royals and a #5 jersey.

You taught me about the value of teamwork - or at least making others feel like they're part of the team (sorry Kels).

You also tried your best to inspire my imagination & creativity...though I'm not sure how much of that ever "took".
You taught me the importance of bundling up "just in case"...oh wait, that was Mom. Never mind.
And last but certainly not least, you taught me many lessons about life...and death.
Thanks for all you've taught me over the years, Dad. While I certainly have a bit of my mother in me, there's no denying I'm your daughter, and nothing makes me more proud. Congratulations on your graduation! I love you!

No comments: