Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Grandpa's Handiwork

Back in September when Dan & I first made the decision on our townhome, we mentioned to my Grandpa that we would have a cute little front porch. Dan hinted that we would love some rocking chairs to fill that spot, and Grandpa said he'd never built a rocking chair before. We were at their house on a quick trip home, and before long Grandpa quietly got up from the supper table and headed back to his shop. He came back with a wood-working layout for some beautiful adorondeck chairs like the ones he had recently made for their new patio. "Those would be wonderful!" we said enthusiastically, though we added they might be a little big - we'd have to check. So he said he'd see what he could do.

Last week when we were home, Grandpa took us out back to his shop to see these:


Petite adorondeck ROCKING chairs! He smiled quietly while we admired his handiwork, quick to point out a few little flaws he saw (I didn't see any) and said he hoped they'd work.


Hoped they'd work? They're beautiful! And they fit our little front porch perfectly. Grandpa, I'm not sure if I believe you when you say you've never made a rocking chair before. Maybe my old rocking horse was all the practice you needed :-)

My favorite part is that there is a stamp underneath that says:
HANDMADE BY ANN & AJ CARROLL '08

Not everything comes from China! Grandma didn't work on these particular chairs, but we have enough of her handiwork around the house that she can claim whatever she wants to. Plus, I have some pillows for my couch on order from her. I can't wait to see how those turn out!

Are we blessed or what? Thanks again, Grandpa AJ, for the beautiful gift!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

What talent! The chairs are so cute! Better looking than any I saw while on my fruitless quest for a patio chair this fall!

Mama Mote said...

The chairs are amazing! That is such a gift and what a blessing for you to have something made especially for you in love. Love that he tried to point out the flaws to you - what flaws? Beautiful.

AmyBethJames said...

Look how CUTE they are! Does he take orders? :)

kelseylynae said...

i should so a post of everything they have made/fixed/repaired/built/painted/fluffed that is in our apartment...sheez!

shout out to the carroll gparents! we are blessed!!

jenny said...

Oh my goodness!!! Those are beautiful!! Can I have some?? I'd pay him. Wow... just a little jealous...