Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Exploring the Natchez Trace

Dan & I had a wonderful weekend getting away and exploring a bit of the beautiful state of Tennessee. We left Saturday morning, hoping to find lots of antique shops to search through but instead we stumbled upon more yard sales than I've ever seen in one place in my entire life. I didn't get any pictures, but I was just baffled by the quantity of junk laid out for consumption. We didn't find any of the pieces we were looking for, but we did come away with a lovely rocking chair for just $25. It was a lovely addition to our camp set-up!We eventually made our way over to the Natchez Trace, which is an absolutely gorgeous drive and historical to boot (it roughly follows an old frontier road that stretched from Nashville to Natchez, Mississippi on the Gulf Coast). I remember driving a stretch of it as a kid one summer when we were on vacation. Kelsey was quite sure Dad had really gotten us lost that time, and we began to celebrate each time we saw another sign of human life (or was that the trip to Montana...). While on that trip, we stopped at the death place of Meriweather Lewis - a small cabin where he apparantly committed suicide, and a monument that now stands at his grave...morbid, I know. Well, believe it or not, there is also a campground at this historic spot, and Dan and I picked the very day of Lewis's death - 199 years later - to camp here (thanks, Dad, for filling us in on that detail). It's a little weird, I know...but hey, the campground was free!
It was a little warmer than we anticipated, but we still needed some wood. Dan found some & managed to borrow an axe, and went to town on chopping (saving a little for our new fireplace!).
As one older man walked by he commented, "It warms ya twice, doesn't it?" Fitting.I was kind of proud of the bed-making job in our tent...just thought I'd throw in a picture of my hard work too!

On Sunday, after Dan made a fabulous breakfast of bacon & eggs, we packed up and headed back North. Since we had all day, we were able to explore many of the stops along the historic route. We even made it to the falls, Dad - during daylight! Here are a few more pictures of our explorations:

The beautiful drive!

We were on a trail we thought was totally "legal"...until we found this.


A part of the original trace.

One stop included an old tobacco barn.


All in all, we had a wonderful time and enjoyed the beauty of Tennessee in the fall. Even though there was plenty of work to do at home, this really was exactly what we needed...to just take a deep breath, enjoy some time together, and be reminded of the beauty of God.

4 comments:

jenny said...

Souns like so much fun... just one question: did you have to sleep with that sweaty man???

AmyBethJames said...

Looks like a fun time! We drove part of the Natchez last fall and it was great.

That sweaty picture of Dan is hilarious. And I echo the previous commenters sentiments... I wouldn't have let him in your nice clean tent. :)

Kali said...

In answer to your questions, I brought a towel & some soap along that I required him to use before bedtime...there were no showers, but that at least helped a little! I think Dan gets sweaty just thinking about being hot...so I came prepared.

*carrie* said...

Kali,

That sign is so funny! I'm sure exploring in TN is much different than Iowa!